• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Steps from camera to large screen

What are the steps go from camera to large screen presentation? I am shooting my short on a D7000.Plan to edit in Final Cut X( up to now using imovie) The D7000 codec is H.264.
Camera to DVD to digital projector.What are theatres projecting now?

Different theaters, different equipment. Some can do only film. Others can do DVD and BluRay, and some can also do digital files (best option). Gotta call ahead and check of you're renting it.

If you're planning on theater distribution, you'll need film transfers for a lot of theaters, and I'm not sure what the digital ones use, some type of HDD format? Not DVD though.

Different theaters, different equipment. Some can do only film. Others can do DVD and BluRay, and some can also do digital files (best option). Gotta call ahead and check of you're renting it.

If you're planning on theater distribution, you'll need film transfers for a lot of theaters, and I'm not sure what the digital ones use, some type of HDD format? Not DVD though.

So It sounds like I would shot at highest resolution HD edit and burn the best quality blueray.

thanks

Thanks everyone.In looking at requirements for Sundance,Austin etc.(if selected) will run 16mm 35 mm andSONY HDCAM Format only.So if I am shooting D7000 at 24 fps. what will the compressed H.264 look like transfered?
Is there a step to uncompress? Is that possible? Just getting ducks in a row in case I should ever need a 35mm print. Is this transfer expensive for 25 min? thanks

You should make an HDCAM-format video directly from your editor. If not, then you need to export a high-quality master in something like ProRes or other semi-lossless codec and then make all your playback versions (h264, BluRay, HDCAM, etc...) from that.

Going through an intermediate lossy step like editor->h264->HDCAM is just a bad idea.

Thanks everyone.In looking at requirements for Sundance,Austin etc.(if selected) will run 16mm 35 mm andSONY HDCAM Format only.So if I am shooting D7000 at 24 fps. what will the compressed H.264 look like transfered?
Is there a step to uncompress? Is that possible? Just getting ducks in a row in case I should ever need a 35mm print. Is this transfer expensive for 25 min? thanks

Well...
Digital transfer to 35mm film is about $300 to $350 a MINUTE, so you're looking at about $9000 for a 35mm print.

HDCAM would be the way to go. I have one HDCAM copy of the film I just finished (got the transfer for free, only had to buy the tape), just in case I get in a festival that accepts HDCAM. That would run you a couple hundred bucks.

Thanks Gonzo

Thanks. Sounds like that is the way to go.I assume a good production house has the capabilities.
So since some cameras now have H264. one does not do the Pro Res thing?

Thanks. Sounds like that is the way to go.I assume a good production house has the capabilities.
So since some cameras now have H264. one does not do the Pro Res thing?

If you can edit directly with the original h264 footage (ie. Premiere 5.5), do that. If you have to transcode, use ProRes or other made-for-editing codec. The files will be larger, but can go through multiple compressions using that same codec without taking a quality hit -- like if you have to render out a shot to import into another program to do effects work and then render that newly-processed shot so you can import it back into your editing program.

What I'm liking about the Adobe Production Suite is I can schlep footage around between programs without having to make a lot of extra video clips -- the programs can all talk to each other directly.

Back