Should I direct or act in an expensive project?

Acting is my passion, possibly more than directing, and I have an expensive project. Not ridiculously expensive, but more than before.

So if it's my money on the line, and I want to make a good impression and make a good movie, what is better? There are only a few roles, and they involve the majority of screentime. So I can either be in front of the camera or behind it. I want to do something more than just produce it. I would like either to act in it or direct.

If it's my money on the line, which is better? A different director might very well do a better job, and he will be directing my acting, so I can just concentrate on following his/her directing, while I control the producing side of things. However, in the end I will have a lot of control over the post production since it's my budget, but I don't know if a lot of directors would have a problem with that or not, even if they said they will not at first? What do you think?

On the other hand, if I direct it, than I have a lot more control over my product, and this may be a good thing, assuming that I can do just as good of a job, as a possibly more experienced director.

What do you think? Acting is my passion, but with directing, I may have more control over my money, which is better than less experience per say?

Last edited:
how much film production experience do you have? have you worked on sets as a PA to watch and learn from directors, grips, boom operators, other actors? i ask because you seem really into film production, and not to be harsh, but you've got a bad rep, man (see Sky's reaction to your post here). the best place to start and learn the right and wrong ways to do things is to volunteer or work as a PA. if you show up with the right attitude and work ethic, and then if you're really lucky you might find a mentor to help you out with lots of these questions you have. and if not, watch, learn, ask questions (when it's appropriate), work hard (the best question to ask as a PA is "what else can i do for you?" and the correct answer when given a task is "yes, sir," no matter how low level a task it is), and make connections. you'll find groups to work with repeatedly, and when a good group gets together, the best films are made. every last PA is valuable. this is the best advice i can give to someone with as many questions and as much enthusiasm as you have

to specifically answer this question: act. trust a more experienced director (just like you will trust your audio guy) and take the opportunity to learn as much as you can from him!

but really, don't even bother with this question until you have a trusted team around you who you've worked with in the past, and experience to go along with it. then write, rewrite, delete, and rewrite a great script. then have your friends rewrite that script. THEN decide on roles in a production. get that great story first

I agree!

Sorry H44 but I don't yet have confidence in you as a director.
I do however believe that you can stand in front of camera and talk.

So acting will be a much better experience I think. And also less stressful.

Here we go again.

Should I direct or act in an expensive project?

You should.... make your decision. Dig deep. You know the answer.

However, in the end I will have a lot of control over the post production since it's my budget, but I don't know if a lot of directors would have a problem with that or not, even if they said they will not at first? What do you think?

Some directors don't give a hoot about post production, most do. Some directors don't care about control over the production, some do. Some are great at collaborating, others are very true to their own vision. Some directors are crap, some are exceptional.

You need to find exactly what you need. Do you have access to that?

There are a lot of so called directors who are more than happy to spend your money and leave you with the mess at the end. There are a lot who will make a product you'll be proud to be a part of.

Acting is my passion, but with directing, I may have more control over my money, which is better

Always go with your passion. It doesn't mean its the best move, but why make yourself miserable and go against your passion.

Once again, you need to make your own decision and live with the consequences.

Follow your passion.
Make a plan.
Prepare for it.

This preparation means: act in cheap productions first. Help others out, gain experience, no matter how small the part.
(How mny parts did you already play?)
But don't take 3 years to play 1 part.
Play at least 1 part every month for the next 4 months.

Then you are ready to decide what to spend.

If you want to spend a lot, why not fly some ITers in? :P
(I can direct :P and so can a lot in here)

I have acted in a couple of other people's shorts (3 so far), and I have acted in classes. I have been a PA on other people's as well. But I told myself that this year, I was going to do something of my own, and set a goal for it. I have learned a lot from other directors, or so I thought. But after doing it a couple of times a year for other people on average, I feel that it is time to do something of my own. I know I have a bad rep on here, I don't intend to, probably cause I only made two short films, and ask a lot of questions. So most of the experience I bring to it, would be from what I have learned from under other people so far.

Even though acting may be more of a passion, I want what's best for the project. If I can find a director willing to leave me with the post production after, then is that a good sign?

Last edited:
Should I leave a lot of the post to the director after? It's just it's low budget, so I would save my money, if I took over after, instead of paying him to spend more time on it. That's why I want to do the video editing myself, and I may be shooting this thing in a different city, and then drive back, so it's not like the director will just want to keep traveling back and forth.

Should I leave a lot of the post to the director after?

No. Why would you?

It's just it's low budget, so I would save my money, if I took over after, instead of paying him to spend more time on it.

As I said, you need to start making decisions. Discuss these kinds of questions with the person who most owns the film and determine the best course of action that will match the goals.

One of those questions may be: What's more important to you? The quality of the project or keeping the budget as close as possible to zero?

You never mention who is going to choose the script and of what kind/

director thought /visual thought aspiring to have good story/script(and ofcorse ,charactors)

or
Actor thought/ Aspiration to get good role than story/script.

Back