"Shorts".... what are they, where are they?

So often I see someone's IMDB credits including many projects called a "short" instead of a movie or TV series. I have a rough idea what they are, I bought a few on iTunes here and there, but for the most part I'm left wondering...

1) Where is a good place to find them? If you want movies or TV shows, you can go to Netflix, Hulu, iTunes, and some can be found on YouTube. But where do you go to browse a decent library of "shorts"....? There aren't nearly as many as you'd think would be posted online (even on YouTube) for viewing as you'd expect, especially with as many that have been created judging by how many different people have worked on. Many that I've looked up online because they were mentioned in someone's credits were impossible to find online, even for a price.

2) What is their purpose? Do people want to show an example of a movie idea or a style of filming? Are they usually done as passion projects, or for resume type purposes? I'm sure the motivations vary from project to project, but in general...

Thanks for your input, I value the wealth of experience (and points of view) that can be tapped by these types of forums, this was something I've been wondering for a long time, and so finally I because a member here to officially ask those who would be in-the-know. Thanks!

Last edited:
1) Where is a good place to find them? If you want movies or TV shows, you can go to Netflix, Hulu, iTunes, and some can be found on YouTube. But where do you go to browse a decent library of "shorts"....? There aren't nearly as many as you'd think would be posted online (even on YouTube) for viewing as you'd expect, especially with as many that have been created judging by how many different people have worked on. Many that I've looked up online because they were mentioned in someone's credits were impossible to find online, even for a price.
There are probably 500,000 short films on YouTube. Vimeo
has several hundred thousand. There are several websites
devoted to short films.

shortoftheweek, filmshort, shortfilmdepot, sfshorts.

2) What is their purpose? Do people want to show an example of a movie idea or a style of filming? Are they usually done as passion projects, or for resume type purposes? I'm sure the motivations vary from project to project, but in general...
Short films are a great way for a filmmaker to learn without
spending a lot of money. The short film is a stand alone way
of story telling just like short stories are - there is even an
Academy Award for Short Film. Film festivals devote entire
blocks to the short film.

THANKS!!! VIMEO! WOW, I heard of it, but didn't realize it had MORE than Youtube in some areas...thanks so much!

And thanks for the other info, I appreciate it.

Back