• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Shopping for my first DSLR Camera

Hi everyone. I've been thinking about getting my first DSLR camera. The only problem I'm having is choosing one. I would like to use this for filming purposes. I've never used one before but I can usually figure things out pretty quickly. My shopping budget is between $800-$1000. I just need a decent DSLR camera to get me started hence the rather small budget.

So if I could get a few suggestions on some models that would be greatly appreciated. I've so far only really looked into the Canon EOS Rebel T3i. There's a lot of knowledgeable people in this community and I appreciate any feedback or suggestions I get here.

I suggest doing this:

Google "GH2 Hacked"

and

"T3i Test Footage"

and then sit for the next week tearing your hair out which one you want to buy :)

Or - save yourself a lot of heartache and buy one and get filming. Who cares which one is better - make a film and make a film that communicates and no-one is going to tell you your camera disqualifies you from making a good film.

I personally suggest the Canon T3i. I own one (after doing the same research you're about to do) - it takes great video and even better still shots - I'm now the family photographer as well as friend's cheap wedding photographer.

I would suggest buying just the body and then buying a prime lens. You'll save a bit of money and probably get a better quality lens.

As a Nikon fan, I have the D5100, but the D7000 is the best Nikon ATM for video.

The t2i, 60D, and 7D are great. I've shot with all three, my favorite being the 60D.

I would suggest buying just the body and then buying a prime lens. You'll save a bit of money and probably get a better quality lens.

As a Nikon fan, I have the D5100, but the D7000 is the best Nikon ATM for video.

The t2i, 60D, and 7D are great. I've shot with all three, my favorite being the 60D.

You think that the D7000 is better than the D7100 for video? I'm curious why because, on paper, the 7100 looks like it would be better.

I actually forgot all about the d7100. I haven't used it yet, so I can't be certain, but I can assume it would be the best. The d5100 is a huge leap compared to the d5000

i just picked up a t3i (600D) - and while i'm no pro, for the money it is a hell of a lot of camera. having fun so far but i'm not shooting anything planned (or even decent) yet :)

just be sure to get a class10 (or better?) memory card for video.

I'd agree with the Canon T3i. Beyond that buy a decent prime lens like a 50mm 1.4f. Once you're comfortable using the camera upgrade to Magic Lantern (free unofficial firmware) to add quite a few additional features.

I'm a bit of an amateur at this, but I just got the T3i for my first DSLR and I cannot recommend it enough. It's fantastic. I only have the kit lens (yes, yes, shame on me), so I can't give you any advice on lenses. And as more general advice-from personal experience, eBay is your friend.

Get a GH2, T2i, 60D, T3i, Nikon D-something.

Now carefully read my quotes..

“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.” – Ansel Adams

“A lot of photographers think that if they buy a better camera they’ll be able to take better photographs. A better camera won’t do a thing for you if you don’t have anything in your head or in your heart.” -Arnold Newman

“The important thing is not the camera but the eye.” – Alfred Eisenstaedt

There you go! Get whatever you want!

As long as you get a DLSR with a swivel LCD then you're good to go. I prefer the 60D primarily because all the buttons that you need are within your reach without confusing the user for other buttons.

Back