• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Scrolling titles techniques and issues

*scrolling end credits, not titles*

I made a big end credits TIF image in Photoshop, and I tried to import it into FCP7 and use keyframes to make it scroll.

I read that there might be a limit to the file size or maybe resolution of the image, but does FCP7 have limits on the length of time an image can play in the timeline? It wont let me drag it far enough, so the credits are playing too fast.

Also, the text is blurry before rendering, but when I try to render, my computer fails due to the high amounts of memory required. I edited my entire feature film without memory problems.

I can't afford After Effects, and other programs like Motion seem outdated (?)
I looked at some free FCP plugins, but they all require starting from scratch and I've already got the Photoshop file exactly how I want the credits to look.

Any ideas?

FYI, scoured the internet forums without finding an answer, but I ended up solving it on my own.

Just in case anyone else has these issues:

I used a JPG instead of a TIF and was able to render the image no problem. More compressed image, but my eyes can't tell the difference so I'm ok with it.

And for the still image duration issue, I can't really explain why this worked, but instead of dragging the clip longer, I placed the clip in the end position and dragged backward and was able to get a longer duration out of it. Maybe it was an in/out marker messing with me? I don't know. :)

Back