distribution Scam or legit?

I can't tell you for sure, but I know enough to say it's suspicious. Here's why I think that.

1. There are way more of these pitching opportunities being sold to people than there actually are network people accepting pitches. Some of them have to be scams. They're greenlighting a couple hundred new shows and movies a year max, and there's 3000 pitch festivals, and film festivals and opportunity festivals all day every day.

2. Indie film, financially, is a tire fire. There is way more money to be made by scamming indie film hopefuls, than there is to be made in the entire industry combined. Disregard this if you are a genius with 4 million dollars, or a person of average intelligence with 8 million dollars, which is way more common. Those people do make money, around 8% of the time maybe.

3. This one is good as a test for any get rich vendor. If you can get me a 20 million dollar deal, because you have those connections, or skills, then why charge me money at all? Why not take a cut of your many placement successes? That would be a lot more money. If you're connected directly to some of the biggest agents in hollywood, why not just pitch your own projects instead of collecting up dimes from people who don't have income yet? When someone tells me, I can show you how to make a million a month, just give me 300 bucks. Here's what I say. Teach me how to make a million a month, and I'll give you 600 bucks, every month. No takers, ever.

Here's my advice. If you can find one single real person, who you are certain is not associated with this organization, and get them on the phone, that will tell you that this service helped them succeed, maybe it's legit. That's a really really low bar, and almost no indie film profiteer I've ever met could clear it. A legit service could step over that bar like it was nothing.

Last edited:
I can't tell you for sure, but I know enough to say it's suspicious. Here's why I think that.

1. There are way more of these pitching opportunities being sold to people than there actually are network people accepting pitches. Some of them have to be scams. They're greenlighting a couple hundred new shows and movies a year max, and there's 3000 pitch festivals, and film festivals and opportunity festivals all day every day.

2. Indie film, financially, is a tire fire. There is way more money to be made by scamming indie film hopefuls, than there is to be made in the entire industry combined. Disregard this if you are a genius with 4 million dollars, or a person of average intelligence with 8 million dollars, which is way more common. Those people do make money, around 8% of the time maybe.

3. This one is good as a test for any get rich vendor. If you can get me a 20 million dollar deal, because you have those connections, or skills, then why charge me money at all? Why not take a cut of your many placement successes? That would be a lot more money. If you're connected directly to some of the biggest agents in hollywood, why not just pitch your own projects instead of collecting up dimes from people who don't have income yet? When someone tells me, I can show you how to make a million a month, just give me 300 bucks. Here's what I say. Teach me how to make a million a month, and I'll give you 600 bucks, every month. No takers, ever.

Here's my advice. If you can find one single real person, who you are certain is not associated with this organization, and get them on the phone, that will tell you that this service helped them succeed, maybe it's legit. That's a really really low bar, and almost no indie film profiteer I've ever met could clear it. A legit service could step over that bar like it was nothing.
I found a couple of threads online where folks were saying it was a scam. I emailed them asking for my money back and stated he would send to his accounting department and I should receive in 5-7 days. I still don't believe it. There is not one listing on Google for his so called company "Rock Party Entertainment." And to say he is doing this with the city of Los Angeles and not even giving an address where the event is taking place. Then of course being able to pitch to 20 plus OTT platforms and networks for $55.00, I am not buying it. I will dispute with my credit card company because I doubt I will ever see if from them. His email was not professional at all.

I'll be honest with you. It's really tough out there, and a lot of really strong competitors bite the dust, despite spending years, and everything they have to try to get a pitch past one of those meetings. This service makes it sound easy, and that's incredibly suspicious.

Also, I should note that a person who goes to LA with $55,000 dollars, typically doesn't stand a chance.

Last edited:
Yeah, how often do you meet someone who's landing deals with international film studios, but also doesn't want to brag about it on social media. If you go on instagram, you can find people with 32 accounts because 31 isn't enough to broadcast their urgent message "I'm one of the rare people that owns an Iphone" They will post numerous pictures of themselves holding the phone, texting, taking pictures of themselves in a mirror taking pictures of themselves. So yeah, that's a red flag. If I see someone who got a mild tan, or ate a sandwich at a fast food place without broadcasting it full tilt to the entire planet, I know something's wrong. It's 2023!

Let's just say it's legit... There's still a problem.

Most of these pitching festivals and or opportunities [sic] are in fact technically legit but let me drill it down for you. Nobody that can actually MAKE A DEAL ever goes to these events. The reps production companies send to these events are on the bottom rung of the ladder and most of the time, they get sent to these things just for the experience i.e., just to listen to a shit-ton of terrible pitches. Hell... Some of these reps are nothing but unpaid interns.

How do I know this? Because I've known quite a few people who were on that bottom rung who had to put their time into these types of events. Some of them stuck with it and are now legitimate producers while most of the others crashed and burned and now doing something else entirely. I've heard a lot of horror stories about this particular part of the industry first hand.

In other words... They want your money. They take your money. They get some prodco representative [sic] to listen to your pitch. Contract completed. You got what you paid for.

Unfortunately... They are selling HOPE when it comes right down to it. In all the years I've been in this business, it still astonishes me how many people trying to get a foot into the industry by becoming a writer and then HOPEFULLY, parlaying that into a career of some kind are actually quite ego-driven.

What I mean by that is simple... So many wannabes with that first script or spec idea that hasn't even been executed yet think that THEY ARE IN FACT, THE NEXT QUENTIN TARANTINO.

They are so confident with their material, that paying some pitching fee or whatever you want to call it is nothing more than an occupational hazard because they just KNOW their material is going to shine through everyone else's.

Bottom line? And it's been this way for a very long time. CREAM RISES TO THE TOP. It really does. If you've written a spec and actually know how to pitch it correctly (most writers do not), lots of people in this industry will want to read it. Sure, they may not get past page 1 if your execution sucks but it's still pretty simple to get your foot in the door as long as you've got a marketable pitch.

Everyone's gotta see dollar signs when they read or hear your pitch which means most of the time? You need something high concept. Something I've been preaching to wannabes who know how to write for over 25 years.

Unfortunately, nobody wants to sink millions of dollars into your Worm Farm Debutante concept. Yes, that's an actual term in the industry. It's what a lot of executives call a script that's well executed but has absolutely zero marketability.

Last edited:
Back