SAG ULB-Theater release

Hello,

I just finished my festival run with my first SAG ULB feature film and delivered to domestic distribution on Monday. My producer just told me last week that she thinks we have to have a theatrical release for our film, or we may be into some hefty SAG costs. We opted out of the theatrical release with our distributor because for an indie film with no stars it can just end up a money sucking venture. It doesn't make any sense in this day and age to do theatrical for a tiny film with no stars.

Plus we played 15 festivals, and got our reviews that way. We planned to got TV, DVD, VOD, etc. with this film. Can anyone who really knows, please tell me:

1. if we do indeed have to have an initial theatrical release before we go to TV, etc.
2. How long and where does this have to happen?
3. If we don't do it, what EXACTLY does SAG charge us for not doing it?

Hello,

I just finished my festival run with my first SAG ULB feature film and delivered to domestic distribution on Monday. My producer just told me last week that she thinks we have to have a theatrical release for our film, or we may be into some hefty SAG costs. We opted out of the theatrical release with our distributor because for an indie film with no stars it can just end up a money sucking venture. It doesn't make any sense in this day and age to do theatrical for a tiny film with no stars.

Plus we played 15 festivals, and got our reviews that way. We planned to got TV, DVD, VOD, etc. with this film. Can anyone who really knows, please tell me:

1. if we do indeed have to have an initial theatrical release before we go to TV, etc.
2. How long and where does this have to happen?
3. If we don't do it, what EXACTLY does SAG charge us for not doing it?
You have all the signed paperwork and contracts so you know what you can
and can't do. So I'm a little confused about your questions.

1. You do not have to have an initial theatrical release before you go to TV, etc.
2. It doesn't have to happen.
3. SAG doesn't charge you anything.

You have all the signed paperwork and contracts so you know what you can
and can't do. So I'm a little confused about your questions.

1. You do not have to have an initial theatrical release before you go to TV, etc.
2. It doesn't have to happen.
3. SAG doesn't charge you anything.

I have read the contracts. The reason I am asking is because other filmmakers that had SAG ULB contracts and played the festival circuit with me this year all said that they HAD to have an initial theatrical release or they would have had to pay some sort of charges to SAG (not clear on exactly what which is why I'm posting) I believe it has to do with this part of the contract:

4. Exhibition Rights

Producer shall have the right to exhibit the Picture theatrically. Should the initial release not be in

the theatrical market, the picture shall remain a “theatrical motion picture” for all purposes of the

Basic Agreement, as modified herein, and shall not be reclassified as a “Made for Pay” or “Free

Television” motion picture. If the Picture is distributed outside of the theatrical market, residuals

will be payable in accordance with General Provisions, Sections 5 and 5.2 and Sideletter 22 of the Basic Agreement.

I think that they are referring to the part that says "all purposes of the basic agreement" which I think means that if you DO NOT have your initial release in a theater, you mud pay the SAG actors the rate they would have gotten in the BASIC agreement as opposed to the $100/day they got with the ULB
I also have calls in to SAG, but they have a problem with calling back.

Back