• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Nikon D7000 Quality

Has anyone bought a Nikon D7000 and used it for a movie? I'm considering going that route but have some concerns.

I know if you stacked the D7000 vs. the 60D one has more options and the 60D has a higher bitrate in the codec...but does that make that big of a difference?

Thanks in advance.

I have a friend who has a D7000. Great for still photos, but leaves a bit to desire for video. I messed with his, I think 720p is all it will do, and I can't remember what frame rates it had. Moire and aliasing was pretty bad.

That's about my only experience with it. Great camera, but not so much so for video, IMHO.

Jef

Thanks for the response Jeff. From what I understand it shoots 1080 at 24 and 30 FPS and 720 at same.

Did you feel the Moire / aliasing was as that much worse that the 60D?

T

I have a D7000. I've been a Nikon person for a long time and as such have a LOT of Nikon lenses. So my choice was based on the glass I own. Yes it shoots 1080p and a number of other formats. The highest bit rate I've seen was 28mbits, depends on the shot. I find the ultra sharp digital lenses produce more moire than the vintage glass. Putting the lens on manual and kicking the focus, very slightly, can in some situation completely eliminate the moire. Again, it all depends on what you're shooting.

I like the D7000 movie mode it works for me at the D7000 price point and the stills are great. Best thing to do is go to vimeo and search "D7000" and look at what the camera can do and decide for yourself.

Last edited:
Back