• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

New to lenses and lighting: How would I achieve these shots?

I'm very new to the visual side of things, i've realised that my films just aren't up to par with what's going in my head largely due to that.

I have a reasonable camcorder for the scope i'm aiming at, Sony CX105E, but I know that light and depth are far more important for a beginner.

Here are a few screenshots from The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (Fincher version)
Could you guys tell me what type of lens is used for each shot, and why they are good for that shot?

Also lighting, if you could roughly tell me where the lights are set up and how I could achieve the mood and focus of them..

I'm sure there's something else I might be missing, bear with me though.

vlcsnap-2013-07-15-23h32m11s175.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-07-15-23h34m13s113.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-07-15-23h38m12s246.jpg.html

vlcsnap-2013-07-15-23h36m24s125.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-07-15-23h42m26s200.jpg.html

Thanks guys, don't hesitate to inform me of anything i've overlooked!

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was shot by Jeff Cronenweth on a RED Epic with Master Primes.

The lenses alone are worth $20k each.

Here's the kicker: The look of Dragon Tattoo had much less to do with the camera body and lenses used and much, much more to do with:
-lighting (and grip/modifiers for the lighting)
-set/costume/production design
-colour grade

You're missing the creativity of it :) It's not a simple formula of x light in y position with z modifier will create abc look.
There are a million and one ways to light a scene, and almost that many lights to choose from to light a scene. How you light it, and what you use to light will depend on a number of factors - the mood of the scene and film, what you want to portray, and also importantly budget.

I think it's more important for beginners to understand the 'why' before they start on the 'how'.

I'll save Jax the time and just quote his original answer in your new thread. ;)

Back