• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Multiple scenes during a voice over

Hello,

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I have a scene where a young girl is reading a letter, well the voice you here is from the older brother hence the voice over, but what I want to include is whilst reading the letter, flashbacks of previous events in the film are shown to tie up everything. But I am not sure what is the correct way to show this in a screenplay. Below is the voice over (I know it's not formatted correctly below):

CHRIS (V.O.)
In the meantime, never forget that though I'm not with you in person, I'm always in your heart. If you’re sad, I’ll console you. If you have a nightmare, I’ll be by your side. If you need help, I’ll be your solution. If you ever need me, open your heart and I’ll be there.

Now on screen I want to show specific scenes after he reads over the following points from above:

--

If you’re sad, I’ll console you...

Flashback of Chris consoling her sister.

If you have a nightmare, I’ll be by your side...

Flashback of Chris sleeping with his arm around his sister.

If you need help, I’ll be your solution...

Flashback of Chris helping his sister with her homework

If you ever need me, open your heart and I’ll be there.

Flashback of Chris and his sister smiling at each other

--

How would you implement this in a screenplay? Would you break the text up like above and include flashback scenes in between, or would you write the voice over and then below the flashback and explain the flashback occurs during the voice over? The flashbacks are continuous as well so it's not show flashback, then back to scene, then back to flashback, the voice over and flashback is all continuous.

Thank you

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I have a scene where a young girl is reading a letter, well the voice you here is from the older brother hence the voice over, but what I want to include is whilst reading the letter, flashbacks of previous events in the film are shown to tie up everything. But I am not sure what is the correct way to show this in a screenplay. Below is the voice over (I know it's not formatted correctly below):

Now on screen I want to show specific scenes after he reads over the following points from above:

How would you implement this in a screenplay? Would you break the text up like above and include flashback scenes in between, or would you write the voice over and then below the flashback and explain the flashback occurs during the voice over? The flashbacks are continuous as well so it's not show flashback, then back to scene, then back to flashback, the voice over and flashback is all continuous.

Thank you

Just write each flashback scene as normal (slug line etc.) and instead of dialogue just continue the VO.

Code:
INT. LOUNGE - DAY (FLASHBACK)
Chris consoling her sister.
[CENTER]
CHRIS (V.O)
If you’re sad, I’ll console you...[/CENTER]

INT. BEDROOM - NIGHT (FLASHBACK)
Chris sleeping with his arm around his sister.

[CENTER]CHRIS (V.O) (CONT.)
If you have a nightmare, I’ll be by your side...
[/CENTER]

and so on...

Last edited:
Back