• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Moving lighting during tracking shots

Hey there. I was wondering how you would tackle the problem of consistent lighting during long tracking shots within a microbudget project? I know some have lights attached to a dolly rig which solves the problem but I'm planning on using a DSLR attached to a steadicam and staying in front of the subject the entire time.

The now famous Dollar Shave Club video illustrates this well (excuse the pun):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUG9qYTJMsI

I got in touch with Lucia Aniello who directed the video and she told me that they used multiple softboxes to light the scenes. She didn't mention how she kept the subject lit throughout though.

Any ideas?

Lots of lights. That one in particular was in a pretty evenly lit room. But yeah, lots and lots of lights off camera AND practical lights. You saw the ceiling fluorescents in that video, and thats ok that you see them.

Ah yep that makes complete sense. For some reason I always thought the lights would need to be moved with the camera but rewatching the video you can see spots where static lights were set up where you wouldn't see them. Except for the one at 0:14 behind the door ;)

Thanks for the help Paul.

Back