• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

lighting Mixed lighting design in a shot

Hello,
Please someone to help with more info how this look is achieved in terms of lighting - how many souces are there, any gels?
The quality of the still is very bad but this is from an old movie called "Мълчанието" (1991), so color banance could be way off.
P.S. In other scenes there is magenta color that went visible (white/magenta shifting) when the camera pans, most visible in the corners of the frame usually.
I have no explanation on this - My guess is either the quality of the ONeg or telecine transfer issue.

This is the still with the mixed lighting design I am talking about above:

Thanks,

Attachments

• gare.jpg
    gare.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Judging by the highlights and shadows, it seems likely that there are at least two key light sources. One is likely the main source illuminating the actor's face and upper body, while the other could be creating the backlight or rim light around the head and shoulders. Additionally, there might be fill lights to soften shadows and background lights to separate the subject from the backdrop.

The overall look appears to have a warm tone on the actor's skin and a cooler tone on the background. This suggests the use of contrasting color temperatures for the key lights. For example, a tungsten bulb for the warm key and a fluorescent light for the cooler background. It's possible that color gels are used on some of the lights to achieve specific color effects. However, without a clearer image, it's difficult to say for sure.

Hello,
Please someone to help with more info how this look is achieved in terms of lighting - how many souces are there, any gels?
The quality of the still is very bad but this is from an old movie called "Мълчанието" (1991), so color banance could be way off.
P.S. In other scenes there is magenta color that went visible (white/magenta shifting) when the camera pans, most visible in the corners of the frame usually.
I have no explanation on this - My guess is either the quality of the ONeg or telecine transfer issue.

This is the still with the mixed lighting design I am talking about above:

Thanks,
I'm not a lighting expert, but I can talk about editing and color grading.
These color grading tips help A LOT in achieving the look youre talking about

Last edited:
Back