• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

mismatched colors!!! HELP!

Hello, all. I am attempting to grade some footage from two different cameras (Canon 550D and Canon 6D) so they look identical. Unfortunately, it's been a ridiculously difficult process; I still haven't even come close to getting it right.

Here are both images, ungraded:
550D
6D
Here are the images after my attempted grading:
550D
6D

Both cameras used identical settings (aperture, framerate, shutter speed, kelvin temperature and ISO) and yet they look EXTREMELY different. It's as if the 550D (the profile angle) picked up WAY more red and completely ignored the brown/yellow hues, replacing them with an ugly green. Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can get these looking the same? Currently I'm only using the fast color corrector and I've tried the 3-way color corrector but both have been to no avail. Please help, I'm desperate to just finish this project and release it ASAP.

Last edited:
6D shot is noticably yellow, a lot more contrasty, and much higher light levels.

If you shift it toward blue/purple, that'll address most of the color shift issue. The rest of the work is getting light levels in line.

Here's a very quick stab (on an uncalibrated monitor) with resolve lite:

15899765236_6cb54ec2c0_b.jpg

Just imagine what I can do with my calibrated monitor and control surface.. Can only get things in the ballpark with the mouse and uncalibrated monitors. But I've not set any of that up yet since we moved... also only spent about 5min on that while on a conference call for work. Just goes to show, the proper tools make the job infinitely easier.

Resolve Lite is free, there's no reason not to use it, unless you don't have a compatible video card, in which case, get a compatible video card and use it!

Just imagine what I can do with my calibrated monitor and control surface.. Can only get things in the ballpark with the mouse and uncalibrated monitors. But I've not set any of that up yet since we moved... also only spent about 5min on that while on a conference call for work. Just goes to show, the proper tools make the job infinitely easier.

Resolve Lite is free, there's no reason not to use it, unless you don't have a compatible video card, in which case, get a compatible video card and use it!

downloaded resolve, how do I import my premiere comp? is it anything like dynamic link?

Last edited:
downloaded resolve, how do I import my premiere comp? is it anything like dynamic link?

You'll need to export either an EDL or a FCPXML from Premiere, and import that into resolve.

Here's a video on roundtripping from Premiere to Resolve & back again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl4qsftvbrk

Also, you should probably familiarize yourself with resolve a bit...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mztEDawC8Wg

For more in-depth info, I can pretty highly recommend the Davinci Resolve training available from Ripple Training. It's what I used to get up to speed on Resolve, and it was definitely a big help.

So just to be clear before I start this and realize it won't work, I CAN color the clips and simply replace them in premiere, without having to completely re-edit everything?

Sort of, yes. Really, ideally, one would render the final output out of resolve rather than going back to premiere, but yes, with EDL or FCPXML, you can import your timeline into resolve, color, export, and then relink the footage in premiere to the colored footage.

Back