• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Matte box video test?

Now i know that Matte box's are a bit of a touchy subject for some, some people saying they are deff needed whereas others suggesting they are just for looks. I am completely neutral and understand the flags will block unwanted light and enables you to use filters but then also understand it adds weight, you can block out unwanted light with a lens hood and can easily screw on filters onto your lens. So i dont wanna go down that route.

I just wondered if anyone had found or made any videos that showed how they benefited? Like setting up outside with the matte box on then taking it off or in a studio and then compared the contrast? Or anything that illustrates the benefits.

I have checked the net but didnt find much, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Any videos or really useful inputs will be posted up on my new blog - http://dslrfilm.co.uk

Thanks in advance.

I know I want one.

You can see why they are needed your self without HAVING one..

Setup a light pointing at the camera so the light is shining on the lens.
Setup a camera to point at something else so that the light is NOT in the frame.

Turn the light on and off. Youll see why you need flags and matte boxes.

HOWEVER.....I dont have a MATTE BOX so how could I do a BEFORE and AFTER....? (your cap locks idea not mine)

And again thats not what im after, my aim is not to say YOU NEED ONE, its just to show a before and after, that simple

You could do a test holding our hand or a piece of cardboard just above the lens. Same thing as a flag just not held in place by the cam.

Most good matteboxes have filter holders as well. Not just used block light but allowing the same
Square filter to be used on seeral lenses and fast lens changes.

It's the same idea of a ball cap or putting you hand on your forehead just above your eyes.

You definitely need a matte box if you work for corporate ever. Prepare for some guy with a 90 IQ to force you to film into the setting sun every time.

It's not as big an issue if you can control your lighting and positioning. Generally a good thing to have though.

I want one for sure, just pricey for something I'd like like to have but can work around with hoods and screw on filters. A CHEAP Matte Box is $400 and 4 X 4 filters are pretty expensive too. To buy a low grade matte box and fully switch over to 4 X 4 filters is probably north of $1000

About the only time I really wish I had a matte box is when I'm doing tracking shots. Just have to prepare the lighting extra-carefully or flag it to avoid any issues. The one time I really needed it, I just had to improvise with black wrap, poster board, and some gaff tape. Looked bad, but I don't care about how "cool" my camera looks to the cast and crew.

I used a piece of black cardboard and some masking tape. On set (with location owners expecting you to look professional, including your gear), I'd much rather have a matte box... you can argue about it right or wrong all you want, but people do judge you based on how your kit looks on set.

I used a piece of black cardboard and some masking tape. On set (with location owners expecting you to look professional, including your gear), I'd much rather have a matte box... you can argue about it right or wrong all you want, but people do judge you based on how your kit looks on set.

Yep, I basically want one if for no other reason that they scream "This is a movie camera". Appearances DO matter.

before last weeks shoot i was against matte box..
How can you be against a piece of equipment? It's just
a tool. If you would rather flag the lights that's cool; if
you don't want to (or can't) spend the money for that
tool I understand; but to be against a matte box seems
really odd to me.

For the reason you mention - at some point you find using
that tool is helpful.

I think it suggests a bit of a Hollywood pretense to some folks (again, a visual thing that ilicits an emotional response - weird).

Kind of an "I don't need all that crap to make a good film" mentality... at least that's what I've seen.

The only reason I don't have one is that the choices are "cheap ABS piece of crap from China/India for $75" and "Nice piece of gear that will last you for years for between $500 and $1500". Some other gear ahead of it on the "to get" list at the moment. I muddle through with screw on filters, hoods, and the occasional clipboard held by a PA.

Back