• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Lighting with no power supply

Recently, we've discovered a amazing location for filming the second episode of our zombie series. The location is a small, abandoned military outpost on our naval air station in brunswick. Theres barbed wire, guard towers, bunkers, and even a building we can go inside.

Only problem is that there is no power supply there as the whole power grid is shut off, and we want to film inside the building which has no windows and only one door. (Pics below). What should i use to light? I currently have no lights (as I always shoot outside away from power supply and never really need them as I use a reflector). I was thinking flashlights, a propane lantern, and maybe battery powered lights? any suggestions? specific links maybe? thanks

IMG_0116.png

IMG_0110.png

IMG_0106.png

You could rent a generator, they are not that hard to find, nor expensive.
Nevertheless, in a zombie apocalypse power lines would be a thing of the past sooner than later. Try to find a way to SAFELY light the area with battery powered lanterns, torches (ala RE: Afterlife), and burning stuff inside oil drums.

As I know, that you are on a budget, try this light, maybe even two of them: http://www.coollcd.com/hdvz96-5600k-led-video-light-for-dv-camcorder-lighting_p707.html

I got mine coming in from Hong kong next week! Dont worry about it coming from hong kong either, coollcd is known for its AMAZING customer service!

One Z96 should give you very nice light and a very zombieish style, two might even be better.

Comes with a magnetic clip on diffuser and a Colour temperature orange gel! If you can wait, I will do a video next week!

Other than that, you could use normal lights, like red heads or softboxes with fluorescent bulbs if you have a power generator which burns petrol! Not recommendable inside though :D

I am working on my own episodic drama at the moment! It's different though! I am still writing the script! A fictional WWII drama. It's going to be very interesting............I hope!

-Phil

EDIT: By the way, the location looks incredible! Use every piece of it, I want to see something amazing!

Last edited:
As I know, that you are on a budget, try this light, maybe even two of them: http://www.coollcd.com/hdvz96-5600k-led-video-light-for-dv-camcorder-lighting_p707.html

I got mine coming in from Hong kong next week! Dont worry about it coming from hong kong either, coollcd is known for its AMAZING customer service!

One Z96 should give you very nice light and a very zombieish style, two might even be better.

Comes with a magnetic clip on diffuser and a Colour temperature orange gel! If you can wait, I will do a video next week!

Other than that, you could use normal lights, like red heads or softboxes with fluorescent bulbs if you have a power generator which burns petrol! Not recommendable inside though :D

I am working on my own episodic drama at the moment! It's different though! I am still writing the script! A fictional WWII drama. It's going to be very interesting............I hope!

-Phil

EDIT: By the way, the location looks incredible! Use every piece of it, I want to see something amazing!

yah dude those look like good lights I'm not filming anytime soon as I still have to write the script so I'll wait for your video man! and yes I plan on using all of the location!

Here's another idea, thinking outside the box: http://www.save-on-crafts.com/wallwash.html

They're wallwash LED lights, can run 8-10 hours on regular alkaline batteries. You'd probably want to use gels to get the right color, but since it's LEDs, you don't have to worry about the heat. They're also made to bounce the light off of surfaces, so that would give you more indirect light. At $61 plus batteries, they seem like they might be worth a try.

Why would you DIY a Designer light into a filmmaking light?
Id just get a LED Pannel

Cost would be the biggest factor. That light is $60, plus batteries (which are normal alkalines). Filmmaking LEDs tend to be at least 30% more expensive, and often need proprietary batteries or a generator. It's all dependent on budget. Of course, if you can afford the more expensive, better lights, then get them. I was offering an alternative in case those were too expensive.

Back