• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

lighting outdoor night scene

I have never lit an outdoor scene ever, hell I have barley lit any kind of scene. I am trying to light a dark corner of an abandon gas station. There are no street lights so it is completely dark. I could go to another spot but I really like this one and I enjoy the challenge.

The look I am going for a dark space lit up by the moon light. What kind of lights give that glow?
Also I am gonna need to bounce the light off of stuff has anybody used poster board before? How well does that hold up?

Craftsman work lights 500w - 1Kw... Gelled

Moonlight is sunlight bouncing off the moon, so it's blue, but it's generally gelled a greenish blue, there are specific gels for this like there are for matching sunlight and tungsten.

Attach a bedsheet to the roof, and stretch it across the top of your scene to a frame of some sort to keep it tight... then blast the gelled work lights up into it and shoot your scene. That's probably the closest you're going to get on a budget...

A little larger budget, 3-Point your subject with heavy moonlight gel on the rim light and lighter moonlight gel on the key. Keep the fill almost non-existant, just enough to expose some detail in the shadow side. Then throw a lowish wattage bulb in a fixture on your gas station to give it a little orange texture, and shoot a large light across the distant background (trees or buildkings) with moonlight gel on in to give a little bit of color to the distant background. Hide this light behind the gas station.

the sheet is ABOVE the scene out of the FRAME of the camera....
you then point a blue light up the white sheet and "bounce" the blue light back DOWN on to the scene..

The theory is its a lot easier (safer) to get a reflector up above the frame than it is to get an actual light source!

good example from:http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=29466

The lights shining on the reflectors is inside the apartments pointing out the windows

CIMG1142.jpg

Back