• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Lighting an actor with glasses?

I hope you'll indulge another stupid newbie question.

Tonight I set up a 3-point light system in a tiny room. The subject wore glasses and reflected both the key and the fill lights at different times during the shoot.

I googled the problem (and tried to do a search here) but didn't find very helpful info. One still photography site said to shoot in 3/4 profile, and another site said to use flat lens prop glasses coated an AR coating. I can't imagine how hard it would be to try to control lighting and filming angles to avoid reflections for an entire feature, but I suppose it's been done if that is the only way.

That's great to know. I'll test that next. Thanks.

This was a tiny room and at one point I was testing almost 1500 watts from CFLs. Maybe nothing would have stopped the glare from these huge softboxes.

It's all about light positioning. If you position your lights and your camera so that you get reflection, you'll get reflection.
Rather than a standard 3-point setup, you might have your key right off to the side, then fill from below to get under the glasses and dig into the eyes and then add a kicker on the top of the hair, for example.
Soft lighting can help, and bounce cards can help but it depends on your room, camera position, mood/feeling you want to evoke etc. etc.

Thanks. I want to spend a day trying lots and lots of different angles, distances, etc. I will try these angles first.

I wish I had a monitor to use, but for now I'm happy to have what I have.

It's a pain, I've seen some folks tip the glasses down slightly, or light from higher (same effect)... there should be some chance of controlling the reflections with a polarizer (not entirely, but a little).

Back