• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

LED lights with Canon t3i?

I will be shooting a short film using the Canon t3i in a couple of months, and I'm putting together an affordable, but decent lighting kit.

At first I thought about using LED lights exclusively, since we are possibly going to be shooting in a couple of places where there would be no power, and the lights I was thinking about using are really light weight and use batteries.

I was thinking about buying a few of the Yongnuo LED lights that cost around $50 a piece.

http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-Pro-Video-Light-YN-160/dp/B004JJIBC2

My plans were to use one to three of them together as a key light using filters and/or an umbrella to soften the light, one as a fill light and depending on the scene, one or two as background lights.

But according to the comments on amazon, apparently they cause flickering/lines on DSLR's with shutter speeds higher than 1/30, and since we'll be using 1/50, that would be no good.

So any suggestions on what lights to use?

I would like to keep the kit fairly simple, a key light, fill light and a third light to use for background.

It is a sci-fi short, many scenes with lots of blue tones, think of Blade Runner.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews52/blade_runner_blu-ray_/large/large_blade_runner_final_blu-ray_2.jpg

It would be good if the lights were fairly light weight, as we will be shooting in real locations, a lot of them quite small and cramped, some possibly with no power, and we'd rather not use aggregators.

Are there any good LED light that don't create flickering with a shutter speed of 1/50?

I would like to keep our lighting budget under $500.

I'm curious about these as well, since I need bright, low-power lights that I can gel to incandescent temperatures. (The house I'll be shooting in has old wiring so I can't just get shoplights and be done with it.)

Well I deiced to buy the Yongnuo 160 led light, and I am pretty happy with it.

I was worried since I read that so many people had problems with flickering, I shot with a shutter speed of 1/47.something using Magic Lantern, and I see no flickering whatsoever.

The light is surprisingly bright, even too bright in some situations.

I am looking into possibly getting another bigger LED light as a keylight, even though you could easily use this one as a keylight in many situations, and using this one as a fill light, hair light or a background light.

I will be shooting a short film using the Canon t3i in a couple of months, and I'm putting together an affordable, but decent lighting kit.

At first I thought about using
led lighting exclusively, since we are possibly going to be shooting in a couple of places where there would be no power, and the lights I was thinking about using are really light weight and use batteries.

I was thinking about buying a few of the Yongnuo LED lights that cost around $50 a piece.

My plans were to use one to three of them together as a key light using filters and/or an umbrella to soften the light, one as a fill light and depending on the scene, one or two as background lights.

But according to the comments on amazon, apparently they cause flickering/lines on DSLR's with shutter speeds higher than 1/30, and since we'll be using 1/50, that would be no good.

So any suggestions on what lights to use?

I would like to keep the kit fairly simple, a key light, fill light and a third light to use for background.

It is a sci-fi short, many scenes with lots of blue tones, think of Blade Runner.

It would be good if the lights were fairly light weight, as we will be shooting in real locations, a lot of them quite small and cramped, some possibly with no power, and we'd rather not use aggregators.

Are there any good LED light that don't create flickering with a shutter speed of 1/50?

I would like to keep our lighting budget under $500

Nice led lights but they are expensive indeed. Can you share short review on these lights? I would love tot get them if there performane is good:)

Last edited:
I'd like to see some of the images you're producing with them... I haven't found any LED lights that I've liked the quality of light from yet... I find them too chalky or granular (not quite sure how to describe it) for my tastes... something un-smooth about the fall off.

Well I deiced to buy the Yongnuo 160 led light, and I am pretty happy with it.

I was worried since I read that so many people had problems with flickering, I shot with a shutter speed of 1/47.something using Magic Lantern, and I see no flickering whatsoever.

The light is surprisingly bright, even too bright in some situations.

I am looking into possibly getting another bigger LED light as a keylight, even though you could easily use this one as a keylight in many situations, and using this one as a fill light, hair light or a background light.

Sounds good, I might get them too. When you say too bright, how bright is too bright?

Back