Just chatty, I guess.

Sitting on front porch (with my tomato plant) finishing a "review" of Righteous Gemstones, watching people walk by with their dogs, and this brings me joy--the happiness, in its most pure and real form, in these canine guys and dolls, just walking down the sidewalk.

Except a guy who just walked by, "training" his young Great Dane, angrily yelling at him and jerking his collar. It's as bad as watching someone yell at a kid in a grocery store. I wanted to run over there and tell the guy: "Dude, have a little patience! It takes time!" But he probably would have smacked me; he looked like the type. And the beautiful dog, unlike all the others who have walked by this morning, wasn't having fun.

And, re. kids in the grocery store, I just thought of something that tickled me, that I thought would make an amusing little story, but that I forgot to tell to anyone. Until, I guess, now.

A 3-or-so year old boy had escaped from his mother, pushing a cart and herding a few other kids, and had snatched a can of room freshener off the shelf, and had run away down the aisle.

"Put that back," the mother yelled, but the kid kept running toward me. I held my hands up: "Don't squirt me!" and he giggled and threatened. The mother caught up, retrieved the can, and corralled the rapscallion.

Behind them, at the check-out, I said to her, "Where's the air freshener?" and then, "I have to admit, that was pretty cute."

She rolled her eyes at me, shook her head, and said, "He just fucking loves the stuff."

And that made my day, lol.

Last edited:
Hey, who doesn't love a good can of "room freshener"? Some days, I just break all the rules and spray it outside. How is the company going to find out I didn't use it inside a room as directed? They're not!

When I was very young.. maybe 3 or 5 years old, idk what exactly because I was so young.

I was wandering around a military commisary (for like 12 years i thought all grocery stores were called commissaries) which is basically a grocery store plus extra stuff and at this point in my life I had never encountered an aerosol can.

I didn't know what they were, how they worked, or how dangerous they could be.
I found an open can of mace (not pepper spray.. MACE) on the bottom shelf and shot myself point blank in the eyes.

Firetrucks and ambulances came out, and my parents could have sued, but it was a miliary store and my dad was in the military, i guess he chose his career over a lawsuit. Wtf is mace doing on the bottom shelf without a cap??

Anyway things worked out for him and I didn't go blind so alls well that ends well i guess.

Last edited:
I found an open can of mace (not pepper spray.. MACE) on the bottom shelf and shot myself point blank in the eyes.
Yipe!. What a story! Must have been terrifying for all.

Although it might be a good opening scene in a movie: Period cars, period wives, military dudes in buzz cuts and uniform, the handsome young soldier, his knock-out red-lipsticked wife, the rapscallion little boy, and the can of mace.

Disolve to: 20 years later. Bllnd? Still traumatized? I don't know, but maybe something :)

Last edited:
and re. dogs walking:

One youtube wit commented: "This is what the internet is for!" I agree, lol. Now I know :)

(everyone else has probably seen this. I guess I'm like the dad who discovered the internet and forwarded every stupid joke he found to everyone he knew, lol.)

and re. dogs walking:

One youtube wit commented: "This is what the internet is for!" I agree, lol. Now I know :)

(everyone else has probably seen this. I guess I'm like the dad who discovered the internet and forwarded every stupid joke he found to everyone he knew, lol.)
Now I need a home escalator. Do they make those?

Back