Is the budget on a film mostly spent on paying people (crew and actors, etc)?

Kind of a random question. When I get a chance to make a proper film, I want to be able to pay people.

I know it varies on each film, but is a huge chunk of a movie spent on paying people (actors, crew, etc)?

Yes, the majority of the budget is spent on people. It also depends on which way you look at it. Do you consider a script a people cost or an item? I tend to lean towards a person cost. What about SFX etc?

It does differ from film to film. There are financing costs that can run up a lot, and it also depends if you're adding P&A into the budget (not usually done, but on low budget productions, it sometimes gets written in for the backup plan).

When I get a chance to make a proper film, I want to be able to pay people.

Okay, let's look at your film. Let's say you are paying everyone (cast/crew) $150 per day and that it is a 20 day shoot. I'm assuming you will have a skeleton crew:

director, cinematographer, gaffer, soundman and PA. That's $750 per day x 20 = $15,000.
Lead actor, actress, plus 3 supporting actors on an average day. X 20 days is also $15,000

You're up to 30K, before you factor in:
Caterer and food.
Sets and set builders
Costumes
Props
Gas and lodging
Equipment - do you already own or are you renting?
Do you need a makeup artist and supplies?
Insurance/permits
Post-Production:
Editor
CGI artist
Marketing/film festival costs.

Yes, paying people becomes a large part of an indie budget.

It depends on whether you classify paying a post house to do your post as paying the people in that facility, or the facility itself.
Even hear rental could be classed as paying a person if you take that to mean paying the wages of the guys who prepped your gear at the rental house...

Back