Is it worth taking this kind of job for my filmmaking portfolio?

Right now, where I live, there are some models who want to hire a videographer for their work, and some of it is paying gigs too.

But if I am trying to build a portfolio to get into movie directing as a career, would shooting videos that are shots of models wearing revealing clothing, be a good thing to put into the portfolio?

Or would it not really do anything for me? I don't mean to sound to picky about not taking opportunities, but I am working on other projects, and would only like to take a job, if it's worth it to build such a portfolio.

What do you think?

It is up to you to make it portfolio worthy.
Can you add something to the equation?

I think it is a great learning experience for you, as you will learn to direct.
And you'll get to know people who are not afraid of the camera.
(Remember the lonely sad girl idea I gave you: I bet there is at least one model who would be interested.)

I've been an assistant on a few photoshoots (because that photographer makes awesome pictures with great styling, I wanted to take a look at how he works) and I brought my camera, so at the moments I wasn't really doing anything, I was filming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76cs-nU4JO8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWe6h3mZ-5A

Both are more or less Behind The Scenes videos, and that might not be what those models are looking for. But yes, it can add something to your portfolio.

BTW,
at the moment your portfolio is still pretty empty, so almost anything beyond 5 second testshots adds to your portfolio.
See it this way: these kind of assignments might not be the same as you want to do most, but they will teach you some things nevertheless. You will learn from it about directing, about light, about composition and about editing.

Okay thanks, I will give it a shot then. I guess something is better nothing, even if it's nowhere near the genre I want to get into.

I tried finding people for the sad girl story before, but couldn't find any takers. My friend said it was because a sad girl short film around a page or two long, with no dialogue would be a tough sell to people, if it's just one character on the streets for a couple of minutes. I like the idea, but perhaps it is a tough sell?

But I will apply for the modeling job. When it comes to putting projects that I have worked on, on my resume, I worked on other people's projects for the past few years, including two features now. However, those movies, both the features and the shorts, were not finished yet, and I do not have any video samples of them from the filmmakers. Is it worth putting movies I assisted on in my resume, if I cannot get any footage to show anyone?

I don't know if I am comfortable applying for a paid job, though, since I am still inexperienced in the lighting department which is what most of this job would entail.

Last edited:
Okay thanks, I will give it a shot then. I guess something is better nothing, even if it's nowhere near the genre I want to get into.

You got to start first, before you can worry about genre.

Just make sure your girlfriend is ok with it...

I tried finding people for the sad girl story before, but couldn't find any takers. My friend said it was because a sad girl short film around a page or two long, with no dialogue would be a tough sell to people, if it's just one character on the streets for a couple of minutes. I like the idea, but perhaps it is a tough sell?

It's a moodfilm. The whole point is to set a mood with it.
Not everyone will be interested for sure. Maybe there is a model with aspirations to act.
"A sad girl short film around a page or 2 long" is for sure a phrase to NOT sell it.

If I would try to cast someone, I would describe it like this:
I would call it a short atmospheric moodfilm about a girl who feels totally abandoned.
As she walks through the city (or towards the water) you'll start to wonder how it will end.
The dreamy visual style will contain lots of shallow Depth of field, lens flairs and lightleaks.

As this is the image I have in my mind.

(BTW, you can add dialogue in the audio as a memory.
And you can decide whether or not it ends sadly or hopeful.)

You only need to 'sell' it to cast and/or crew.
Not to the rest of the world.

Back