Is it worth going to a film festival?

Their is one coming up which I went to last year. They showed about 20 movies but to be honest they were some of the worst movies I have ever seen. I only thought one was really good, and two were fairly good, but the rest nothing special at all to terrible. I know it's low budget and I respect and admire that, but the problems were the scripts themselves and most of them only felt like half of a movie, even though they were feature length.

I went last time cause I like movies and wanted to support the indie community and possibly hope to make connections as well, since some of the actors and directors from the movies were there. But after it being so dull last year, is it really worth going to these things, do you find in your experience?

Well, there is value in learning from the mistakes of others - skipping over having to learn the hard way by making the same mistake yourself. There's always the possibility of one of the films surprising you. Networking/making connections - really depends on one's ability to do so in that kind of environment. I am terrible at "networking events," so I have zero input on that one.

Why don't you see if you can help out/volunteer for the festival.

That way you've a better chance to network, get access to the hobnobbing events that general public might not get access to and also don't really have to watch any films if you don't want to.

Okay thanks. It's this festival:

http://www.darkbridges.com/

I'll ask to volunteer if I can work my job around it. The weekend portion of it shoud be good. I hope the movies are good this time, cause they were pretty bad the one time I went. I know I am not a good filmmaker at my level, but even I have higher aspirations and wouldn't take on a script like the ones these ones had. I hope I make some contacts or something comes of it, or even a few movies are good that would be a plus.

Back