Interesting reactions from the feature I acted in.

The producer will not let me show any clips online, till the movie is released, and had some sort of run.

They showed a rough edit to friends, companies, and other collaborators and most of the viewers took two sides in judging it.

One side said they like how the movie has lots of camera movement, and has lots of cuts here and there, giving it a fast pace.

The other side says that it's very overdone, and that normal dialogue and drama scenes do not need to be shot and cut like action movie fight sequences. Well that's how one worded it, but a lot of the others were in agreement.

I found this to be very interesting and it really gets you thinking about what audiences want, as an aspiring filmmaker, especially when you have very different types to please.

What do you think of this, as I felt this interesting to share...

Last edited:
Without having seen the footage I can't say for sure. In my experience, especially in drama or meaningful dialogue scenes, less cuts is almost always better.

If the actors performed the scene very naturally and hit all the right beats, why would you need to cut away? I only cut away unless there's a specific facial reaction that needs to be shown, or if starts to feel weird not to cut away.

Also, everyone knows it's better to try and please yourself than to try and please audiences.

Yeah I guess it was useless to make the thread, without being allowed to post footage from the filmmakers. I guess I just wanted to know similar experiences from people, since you have one side of audience that likes the style of the director, and one side that say's it's unwatchable; quite the opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to pleasing viewers.

Yeah I guess it was useless to make all the threads i have already posted because I never have a straight answer for anything and i ask simple questions which could be answered based on common sense or google..

wow really? your starting to show your maturity :) you could be onto something here...

I like to think I give pretty decent answers ;)

In this case, without footage, I can only give an anecdote. I had a school project wherein I'd forgotten to collect room tone. We shot in an operational bowling alley. I had to piece together a tone loop from between pieces of dialog.

When we screened this project in front of our class, our 30 second loop was REALLY obviously looping. One of the students viewing it asked about it. I responded by asking why he thought we used it... his thought was that is was to give the impression that the main actor was in a heightened state of excitement, etc, etc... I responded with my folly.

The moral here is that you'll never have consensus from an audience. You can only make the film you're going to make and hope the audience likes your take on it. What was their intent with the fast paced cutting in the dialog?

Well they said their intent was to give the movie a rapid and energetic pace. But it seems to me the real reason why they did it was because maybe they had something to hide, such as continuity flaws, and takes not lasting long enough when it comes to good acting maybe.

But this is just a rough edit and the movie is still not finished filmming yet. Reshoots and mistakes and all.

Back