Incubating shows on Youtube.

Lots of people put their shows on Youtube, hoping a major studio will pick up their concept. This happened to "Riese Kingdom Falling" which went viral and so was picked up by Syfy Channel. Of course, the odds are very slim that another person's production will get picked up, but the odds are also slim for a movie making its money back - or for someone to get a TV show.

I'm thinking of doing this, as a low-risk way to get into the business. There is an advantage to this route, because you can cultivate a client base over time, while movies are hit-and-miss (will distributors pick it up?) and TV shows are often cancelled if they don't produce ratings immediately (remember what nearly happened to the old Star Trek?).

low risk is low chance of success.. having YT presence cant really hurt, just keep your brand identity clear, don't use the same YT channel to upload your moms retirement party if you get my meaning.

low risk is low chance of success.. having YT presence cant really hurt, just keep your brand identity clear, don't use the same YT channel to upload your moms retirement party if you get my meaning.

Absolutely. But, if no one knows anything, then the odds of success are even, regardless of whether you do a tent pole or a Youtube video.

driving the odds to zero chance isn't really useful. You want to get people to know about it or there is no utility. So your still putting something at risks, its just your risking what you can afford to lose right now..

I have more time than money, so I spend my "time" updating YT content with the hope that some network executive will see my greatness and give me money.. The alternative is to send my money marketing my show to the networks.

The question then is what biz are you trying to break into?

A similar thing happened with Sanctuary...started as a webseries, SyFy picked it up. I think if you are really into making a series, doing a webseries and then using that to pitch to networks certainly isn't a bad idea. It's sort of like doing a pilot on your own dime, rather than the networks (so I can see the appeal for them too), plus gives you a chance to break in where you otherwise might not. As wheat says, low chance of success, but if you were going to make a webseries anyway, no harm in keeping that in mind as a possible avenue to try and take it eventually!

I'm trying to get into the film business. But, if it's hard to go the Youtube route, it's also hard to go through the traditional route, so the odds are even.

Back