• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

In a script should I identify cop characters by their last names?

If you read scripts like Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, or The Dark Knight the cop characters are always referred to by their last names by the writer. Should I do that as well or does it not really matter to the reader, but maybe it does since it's a trend?

Thanks.

When the cop's superior officer calls him by his last name, write his last name. When his love interest calls him by his first, write his first, then write his last name in parentheses beside that.

Does that work ok?

It really doesn't matter to the reader. Naming should be clear and consistent. And ideally, they should be short and unique. Using surnames is not confined to procedurals. I noticed in one script I read, the writer had three characters: John Davis, Rob Davis, and John Stewart (I'm changing these up obviously). The author used: J. DAVIS, R. DAVIS and J. STEWART. Personally, I would have given Stewart a different first name but since this was based on actual events, I can understand keeping to the facts.

You are talking about how the character is titled throught the script right? It depends on the character's importance in the script and also on dialogue.

Example 1:
DETECTIVE JOHN ADAMS greets OFFICER SCHULTZ at the door. (OFFICER SCHULTZ is a minor character)

JOHN
Hey Schultz, you got my papers?

SCHULTZ
Get them yourself.

Example 2:
DETECTIVE JOHN ADAMS greets OFFICER TONY at the door.

JOHN
Hey Tony, you got my papers?

TONY
Get them yourself.

Example 3:
DETECTIVE JOHN ADAMS greets WATCH OFFICER at the door.

JOHN
Hey, you got my papers?

WATCH OFFICER
Get them yourself.

See how the above flow together and are consistent as to not confuse the reader with extra surname/first names? Of course, in writing a fictional story you strive to avoid having characters with the same names so you avoid writing: JOHN ADAMS, JOHN DEERE, JOHN HANCOCK, etc.

I have been told by sold screenwriters that you should strive to avoid any potentially confusing or ambiguous issues in your spec script, i.e. when a producer reads it.

Last edited:
You are talking about how the character is titled throught the script right? It depends on the character's importance in the script and also on dialogue.

Example 1:
DETECTIVE JOHN ADAMS greets OFFICER SCHULTZ at the door. (OFFICER SCHULTZ is a minor character)

JOHN
Hey Schultz, you got my papers?

SCHULTZ
Get them yourself.

Example 2:
DETECTIVE JOHN ADAMS greets OFFICER TONY at the door.

JOHN
Hey Tony, you got my papers?

TONY
Get them yourself.

Example 3:
DETECTIVE JOHN ADAMS greets WATCH OFFICER at the door.

JOHN
Hey, you got my papers?

WATCH OFFICER
Get them yourself.

See how the above flow together and are consistent as to not confuse the reader with extra surname/first names? Of course, in writing a fictional story you strive to avoid having characters with the same names so you avoid writing: JOHN ADAMS, JOHN DEERE, JOHN HANCOCK, etc.

I have been told by sold screenwriters that you should strive to avoid any potentially confusing or ambiguous issues in your spec script, i.e. when a producer reads it.

The key is that in the SLUGLINE you can identify a character by full name, then pick and use one name consistently EVERY TIME the person speaks in the movie.

Exactly, I was going to do that. Just wasn't sure what name to use, but it seems custom for cop character's to be used by their last names. Movie scripts like Die Hard, Lethal Weapon and Seven do that. However for mine I should probably use the first name since the lover is using it more often and perhaps has a little more screentime.

Back