If a Teenager From Hong Kong Can Get His Movie Made in Hollywood, Maybe There's Hope

Most aspiring screenwriters never get the chance to see their stories played out on the silver screen. As a young screenwriter hopeful myself, this fact alone scares me half to death. So you can imagine how stunned I was when I heard that a 16-year-old Hong Kong native's script titled Senior Project got noticed by Hollywood producers.

His name is Jeremy Lin, and no, he isn't the former Knicks (now Houston Rockets) NBA player who started the Linsanity movement. He's just a kid who had the chance to pitch his film idea to Los Angeles-based screenwriter and investor Fabienne Wen at a film workshop last year. She loved his idea of a coming-of-age comedy that surrounds five high school students waiting 'til the last weekend of school to finish their senior project. It's a Breakfast Club-meets-Superbad comedy that looks at the struggles high school students face -- friendships falling apart, sexual orientation, impending graduation and what's next for them. It's a storyline that we can all relate to, from Hong Kong to American high school students.

Lin has already grabbed the attention of Angel Gracia, who directed a film in 2011, From Prada to Nada, and is set to direct Senior Project. Brion Hambel and Paul Jenson, who produced 2011 comedy Natural Selection, are attached as producers. As a recent college graduate trying to make it in Hollywood as a writer, I was inspired by Jeremy Lin's ambition and drive at sixteen. I immediately wanted to root for him and see his film get made.

Like all films, it's a huge expense, but his script is worth it, so the team behind Senior Project have set up a Kickstarter account in hopes of raising enough money to fund it by July 22, 2013. You can check it out here and follow this amazing story on www.facebook.com/SeniorProjectTheMovie as well as on Twitter @ASeniorProject.

Wow, you must be a really big fan of this Justin Lin guy, for you to create a new account with Indietalk, just to share this great story with us. I'm assuming you're not connected with the project in any way, because it would be weird for you to not tell us that.

This looks like an exciting project, one that I very well might contribute to. Oh, except I only donate to campaigns in which the filmmaker (or at least someone associated with it) tells me about it. Darn! If only someone from the film were here to tell us about it. :(

Wow, you must be a really big fan of this Justin Lin guy, for you to create a new account with Indietalk, just to share this great story with us. I'm assuming you're not connected with the project in any way, because it would be weird for you to not tell us that.

This looks like an exciting project, one that I very well might contribute to. Oh, except I only donate to campaigns in which the filmmaker (or at least someone associated with it) tells me about it. Darn! If only someone from the film were here to tell us about it. :(

Hi there, sorry for not making that clearly. I did not intend to hide or anything. Im helping this kid and the producing company spread the word out. And while I was writing to various newspapers, I figuered might as well create some posts on forums so more people can know it instantly. Of course we will like contribution, but as money pouring in, we are not exteremly worried about getting the 250K goal reached. Our number one priority is to let as many people know about this exciting project!

So thank you for the reply and sorry if I sounded misleading before:(

Hi there, sorry for not making that clearly. I did not intend to hide or anything. Im helping this kid and the producing company spread the word out. And while I was writing to various newspapers, I figuered might as well create some posts on forums so more people can know it instantly. Of course we will like contribution, but as money pouring in, we are not exteremly worried about getting the 250K goal reached. Our number one priority is to let as many people know about this exciting project!

Cool, well then that being the case, I'm glad you told us about it. I'd love to see a small film like this be a break out success. I'm sorry if my initial post seemed harsh, you'd be surprised how many people intentionally deceive us with promotional material. Since you're not one of them, I look forward to keeping tabs on your project, and I wish you the best! :)

Cool, well then that being the case, I'm glad you told us about it. I'd love to see a small film like this be a break out success. I'm sorry if my initial post seemed harsh, you'd be surprised how many people intentionally deceive us with promotional material. Since you're not one of them, I look forward to keeping tabs on your project, and I wish you the best! :)
Thank you guys~and I've seen sports news covering this because he shares the same name with that Jeremy Lin. Haha I think we are doing pretty well here~~

Hi~everybody! We have 210K funded and only 40K to go in 3 days~~if anyone from here donated, I just wanna say thank you very much! :) Lets keep our fingers crossed!

Back