• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

ideas for shots

i just started back my final year at film school, and the first assignment that was handed to me was a "seemingly" simple exercise. the brief is to get 12 creative shots. the purpose is to experiment with new techniques. seems like a simple task right? but i cant think past the basic choices like time-lapse, depth of field, and slow motion.
any ideas, examples, or inspiration for cool shots i could attempt?

You could do a creative framing of the shot. Or interesting action going on in the shot. Like one side has only circular objects, and other side only rectangles..

Dumb, but creative lol

Watch Kubrick or Tarkovsky films. To me, it seems, their films are just so beautifully put together; every shot hints/compliments the next or prior one.

The best "framed" movies of theirs, if I had to pick, would be: Kubrick "Barry Lyndon", Tarkovsky "Ivan's Childhood".

Pay attention to the symmetry and creativity in their shots. Try moving ones, or ones at different angles, or ones that are surprising/create tension.

It's something that really can't be explained in words. Just watch good movies (like the ones I mentioned) and you're good on inspiration. Hope this helps.

funny you should mention that, i was having a discussion with someone today about kubrics composition and framing, thank you for the suggestion, i will check out those films.

@indiebudget it will be video. i found a good tutorial on how to fake 1000fps slow mo, so i might try that aswell.

you could do 12 frames jump shots like in "the five obstructions"
you could put the camera on side, and do a high screen part
reverse slo-mo?
slanted angles
pull back zoom with twist in camera
skipping every 24th frame

Back