I made a short and want your opinion

Hello everyone

i just registered to this forum because i wanted people who are actually interested in filmmaking give their honest opinions about a short i finished making 2 months ago. here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kddyzqrirMA

i know the concept is pretty far from original, but i really wanted to do my take on it

please tell me what you honestly think, thank you

I stopped at Tuesday night.... perhaps because at that point I was just too bored and saw that it was 18 minutes long of this..... Also I was expecting something completely different when I read the description... The only war I see is his hatred for going to work or something? Seems childish...

Also I had problems with how he degrades... In just the two days I watched, he seemed more upset at the start of Monday than he did at Tuesday, yelling at his alarm. Tuesday he just turned it off silently.

Costume wise was my first drawback from what I was expecting. He put on a tie and suit. Can't go to war with a tie and suit. But I was pulled out of what little sense of belief I had by elephant noises which made me laugh and the fact he put on Converses with his suit and tie.

Welcome to indietalk.

May I suggest that you look around a bit and give feedback to some
other filmmakers? Lot's of shorts posted here with very few comments.

I watch a lot of short film. Too many films start with someone waking
up. The more short films a filmmaker watches the less they will fall into
the cliche's. So you lost me right away.

Five minutes in (the entire length of my short films) I don't know what's
going on. What's bad is you didn't do anything to make we WANT to know.
I appreciate the experimenting and the close ups and the use of shallow
focus. The audio mix is interesting

Eight minutes in (with ten to go) I'm struggling to keep watching. Surrealism
is fine – when it holds my interest. Lynch, Jodorowsky, Grondry, Svankmajer;
but you just aren't holding my interest. Technically I have no issues. Some
great editing and interesting visuals. Again, as someone who watches a
LOT of short films I see this “over-and-over” theme a lot. I see the attempt
to get into the characters head a lot. I rarely see ones that grab and hold
my attention.

By twelve minutes I would have shut it off. But I think, if I saw this at a
festival I would walk out, so I keep watching. No pay off.

You asked for an honest opinion; it's a fine experiment in using the equipment
you have and the audio mix is quite good. Visually it's fine if very cliché.

Firstly, congratulations on completing a short. We all know how tough that is and well done for getting this far.

I liked the overall concept, just thought it was mind numbingly long. If someone tells me a story in 1 minute that makes me laugh, cry or tear my hair out then that's a good thing. If it takes 20 minutes to tell the same story, that's bad in my world.

Started skipping forward around 4 minute mark and think you could've cut that down hugely and still told the same story.

Can a mod stick this into the screening room, please?

I enjoyed it. Maybe it's cliche as I made a short not too dissimilar that was a cross breed between the daily grind cliche and the found footage cliche. I also did a close up on teeth brushing. lol I thought you did it in a interesting way though. You should keep making stuff.

Last edited:
Closing in on 6 weeks and DonatasG has not returned to indietalk.
Wants feedback, won't give feedback, doesn't even return to the
the forum.

Perhaps all he really wanted were "views".

the forum.

2000+ views isn't bad
Although I spent a minute on google and I see he has over 4,400 twitter followers

the forum.

^ This.

Generally I wouldn't even click on Screening threads unless I recognize the poster's name. It tends the ones that most post their videos have between 1 - 10 posts and then never return.

Ok. Lots of things I'd like to say about this.

First some positive comments.

I think the premise (if I understand it correctly) is a good one. It's a very workable idea. It's probably been done a lot before, but I like it here.

The shot design is also really good. The placement of the camera is chosen rather well. What shows up in the camera isn't always great, as I feel we ought to be seeing more of this guy's face rather than his backside or his body and hands. But the placement and the use of shallow focus is visually interesting.

One particular shot I thought was the most surprising was when we first see the guy's reflection in the mirror, and water is either running down it, or splashing up at it. I don't know if this was a natural phenomenon of the shallow focus and the water warping the reflection, or if you did something in post-production. But the way the guy's face is twisted and smudged to where it looks like an oil-painting caricature was really shocking and bizarre. I loved that. If that was unintentional, awesome. If that was completely planned, wicked awesome!

I can also say that the color grade is on the right track. But the colors between different shots in the same location seem mismatched. You're also clearly going for a bleak and grungy atmosphere here, but there's a missed opportunity with respect to post-effect film grain, other bits of dust, hairs and artifacts you might find on 8mm stock or something like that. (please don't use digital noise if you decide to do that sort of thing. Film dirt would be better) And I feel like a lot of your shots could do with a dirty vignette around them. Something to bring in the sides, make them bleed over a bit. It would help make the film feel claustrophobic, which I think is the point of a lot of it.

But now for the hard critique.

The pacing is extremely slow. The content that you have, the ideas that you bring up, the use of sound effects over his actions and other elements are great. But they ought to be happening a lot quicker in order to bring us in. And like I said before, I think seeing more of his facial reactions would immediately make it feel faster without even changing the videos speed or the placement of edits.

The short is too damn long. My current short started out at the same length: 18 minutes. But it went by so much faster than your film does both because it had dialogue during its first half, and because there was always something going on rather than a bunch of slow long takes of stilted and stalled movement. I eventually managed to cut it down to 10 minutes, which is about as perfect of a length as we could have hoped for for what my story and content consists of. But your film "frequent frequencies," basically overstays its welcome by the 5 minute mark, if that, because we already get it. And it desperately needs some sort of resolution or at least some form of an ending right then and there, because the way you try to drag the point out further for another 13 minutes is just plain overkill.

And by the way, I don't miss the 8 minutes I ended up cutting out of my film, because the story didn't need them. I don't even know what those 8 minutes amounted to, because they were often halves of shots, a few seconds or a few frames here and there, slowly whittled down to 8 minutes. So because a lot of it wasn't even whole scenes missing, I personally miss it far less than I might have.

"Brevity is the soul of wit." Live by it.

While watching the first five minutes, I was the most confused by two things. A. the shots and moments involving whales and whale footage. And B. the sound effects of people, cars, and elephants.

What do these sounds have to do with the day to day barrage of stuff this guy must have to deal with at work? The sound of elephants may have seemed like a meaningful sound to you when you put it in the film. But to me, and I'm sure to many other people, it doesn't relate to anything. It doesn't represent anything to me that is obvious. Maybe if I worked in an office I could make the connection. But I've never heard of white collar people ever being referred to as noisy elephants, so the use of the sound seems misplaced.

Beyond that, everything that you have here is more than enough to make a killer short. You shouldn't need to re-shoot anything more, you shouldn't need to shoot anything extra, just work what what's there. Cut it down to 5 minutes tops. Shorten shots so that you can squeeze more in. Pick the best bits of his movements, preparations and reactions. Maybe use some footage from much later in the piece rather than working with the first half only. And like I said earlier, maybe give the color grade a little twist, in case it might change the effect of the piece at all. Definitely consider fake film grain and dust, a broad vignette in places, and maybe a more Matrix-like green hue to everything, or perhaps something yellowish, like a David Fincher film.

Best of luck to you.

EDIT: Kinda stupid to post a video on a forum like this and then not even come back to look at the replies. Often things like this don't get replies, as was mentioned above. But I mean, put a memo down for yourself--at least--as a reminder to go back and see if it got any comments. They can't always be bad, right?

Maybe I just spent a half hour writing this all for no-one. Lol (Silly me) But, this kind of stuff is always good practice for thinking critically about the pros and cons. And I do honestly think he has something here that can be reworked into a much better short.

Last edited:
Poor FilmmakerJ

He wasted all that time giving a critique to someone that will never come back to read it.

JLOL - depends on how long the short is.
You'll get much harsher criticism here (generally speaking) than you will from the average public so keep that in mind.

That's fine. I just want honest opinions.

Its 11 minutes long. Thanks if you do decide to watch. Its in my first post.

Maybe I just spent a half hour writing this all for no-one. Lol (Silly me) But, this kind of stuff is always good practice for thinking critically about the pros and cons. And I do honestly think he has something here that can be reworked into a much better short.

Poor FilmmakerJ

He wasted all that time giving a critique to someone that will never come back to read it.

Hmmm... I'm a little confused... that was a long (and I assume analyzed) critique of this short... I didn't read it because well.. it was almost two months ago when I watched this video...

Did you not read the comments before writing your post?

Did you decide to critique this one because it has more comments then the other more recent asks for critiques? I'm purely curious as to how people pick what they critique.

Hmmm... I'm a little confused... that was a long (and I assume analyzed) critique of this short... I didn't read it because well.. it was almost two months ago when I watched this video...

Did you not read the comments before writing your post?

Did you decide to critique this one because it has more comments then the other more recent asks for critiques? I'm purely curious as to how people pick what they critique.

I usually don't end up reading all reply posts, because sometimes there's so many (I know there wasn't this time), that if I end up reading them all, it takes more time out of my day than just posting my own reply. Sure, it might save me from writing a long comment when so much has already been said and dealt with, but I guess forums are different than Youtube. Because on Youtube, everybody can comment on the video independently, but then conversations also happen below. But do you go through all of the Youtube comments before commenting yourself, just to make sure what was said already? Of course not, why should you? They can go on for ages, and nothing that is said really impacts what you ultimately say. But in a forum, maybe I need to approach it differently.

I chose to comment on this specifically because I was curious based on the first few posts. And the film itself, like I expressed in my comment, was rather fascinating and interestingly shot, even if it was long winded and a tad boring after the first few minutes. So I felt I should say something. I also didn't see anyone else on the recent posts feed looking for feedback, but if I had, I would gladly comment and critique their piece as well. I'm happy to offer any of my own thoughts on anybody's work. I don't tend to play favorites. I may not always have time to comment on everything I'd like to, but I don't usually avoid things like this if someone really wants outside opinions. Because I am often in their position wanting comments on my own work, and it is discouraging when you don't get much.

Back