I have a cardboard personality as a film director. Will that destroy my career?

Hi first of all I want to introduce myself since I'm new to this forum. My name is Ross :) I'm originally from Alaska and moved to the Michigan when I was 6. I've got too many favorite movies to list sooo.............. I'll get right to it.

I have been on a lot of movie filming sets and noticed that there are a lot of filmmakers with very charismatic personalities. They smile really big, they talk really loudly, they seem to always pat people on the back and it keeps the environment really cheery. I, unfortunately, have practiced being like this time and time again and it just has not worked out for me at all. It always comes off as awkward, uninspired, lacking, and overall forced. So later on, I realized that this is just how my brain was wired. Then later I found out later from a psychologist that I was diagnosed with asperger's syndrome which was the reason. I speak very monotonely, my movements are very awkward, stiff, and cardboard like, and I can only immensely focus on things one at a time. So if my cast members tries to get to know me more while we're on set, I will keep my responses short, and answer them cardboard like because my mind is always completely focused on only one thing.

So yeah, anyway, I managed to make countless short films with family who are also trying to become filmmakers as well and I think I'm now finally ready to tackle a feature film. I have the plan, I just don't have the social skills............ So I'm setting up an online network of all these cast and crew members, dreading the day when we will one day meet and they will be deeply shocked and hopefully not thrown off by how cardboard my personality is (Since it's not very cardboard when I talk to people online). And since I am making a feature film, I need the commitment of my crew or my film very well might fail.

So what do you think? Will my social skills cost me if I can't even crack a joke while making a movie with my crew? Are my social skills so important that I should possibly delay my project plans to work on perfecting my social skills before I start on my feature film?

I would say your most important social skills should be outside the film set. On set you just need to clearly formulate your vision.

Yes, it’s going to be an issue.

As the director you must be able to focus on many things at once.
You need to be able to inspire people and keep then motivated.
You must be able to switch focus quickly. The less you are paying
the more your personality matters. But even with a highly paid
crew they need to know you have their back. Of course you do - but
if you are unable to show it that will cost you.

No, you don’t need a charismatic personality. No you don’t need to
crack jokes. You can speak monotonely and keep your responses
short, but you must be able to split your focus, to change focus
quickly and motivate your cast and crew. It is the director who set
the tone. You need to work hard on the social aspect of directing. And
you will need to work harder than most.

Are you up to that challenge?

Hello new dude! :cool:

It's great to have another member of the community.

If you can keep people motivated on set, explain your vision to others, and get what you want done - there shouldn't be too much of an issue. You don't have to be a loud and cheery, but you should be able to communicate efficiently.

Best of luck with your career as a director :)

As 'rik said, it will be an issue.

On the set no one cares about your handicaps, whatever they may be, or will accept it as an excuse; all a cast and crew will care about is whether or not you can get the job done. And please, don't get me wrong, I have compassion for people who have difficulties.

What is most important is your passion for what you do. And that is a place to start; if you can't show your passion physically you'll have to let your more of your passion come through in other ways. This may be a great excuse to really work on the core team building during preproduction. This is an opportunity for your core cast and crew to get to know you, and for you to let them see your commitment and dedication and, most especially, your passion.

Perhaps some acting classes may be in order. Not only will they assist you with your directing, but you can learn to "act" the part of the confident director.

I was never the "outgoing" type, yet I pursued a career as a performer (stage musician). I even eventually shared fronting responsibilities for one band, and ended up as musical director for a famous oldies act. My technical prowess, and my love and passion for music, earned the respect of my peers. And, amazingly, I learned how to give "proper" compliments. I was never a joke teller, but as my career lengthened the number of anecdotes grew.

The point is that you can develop your leadership skill set, but it may take a while. You said you've worked on sets. Perhaps you should hold off on directing until you have been a department head a few times. Let's face it, people respect someone who really knows their sh..... uh, stuff. And they will always respond to someone who looks out for their welfare.

The good thing is, as an asperger's person, you will tend to be able to analyze and deconstruct systems well. Socialization and those interactions are a system. Deconstruct those interactions and learn to utilize what you've learned to get your message across. You can flow chart human interaction (it's not a simple flowchart, but it's learnable) well enough to be able to overcome the socialization issues that comes with aspergers.

Take some acting classes that will allow you to practice putting on the emotional costumes you'll need and learn to transition between them. Do puzzles that require you to shift focus frequently. Learn karate, fencing or skateboarding; something that requires fine tuned control over your body so you can learn to adapt quickly to changing parameters and have more physical awareness of your presentation. Study social engineering! This is the biggie! I like "Scam School" on youtube.

Good thoughts above. Here are a few more:

Do you need to direct this or are you open to bringing your screenplay to someone who has a "bigger" and more approachable personality to helm the project? Someone you are very comfortable with seeing your script through production.

If no, then...

Perhaps before you shoot any footage, get the cast & crew together for a pre-production meet & greet and explain your situation, assuming you are OK with being open about your Aspergers and not feeling entirely comfortable in social settings. I can't imagine (the right) people wouldn't understand.

Find a gregarious and experienced Assistant Director that becomes your "go to" with cast & crew and is willing to help.

But, as some have mentioned above, you may not have all the appropriate skills to coax a performance (or the best performance) out of the actors if you are naturally quiet and reserved. Doesn't mean you couldn't, just that as you explain, you're not feeling that you're wired for it.

That said, I think a lot of the filmmakers on this board (self included) can feel overwhelmed and uncertain and like a fish on dry land when in the midst of production and everyone is staring at you to make it happen, pull it together, always have a vision and know what you want. It's not easy!

Last note: your personality might lend itself more toward SCREENWRITING than directing. I'm not saying you shouldn't direct what you write, as you've already done that, but the great thing about writing is that you can hide your "cardboard" personality, or make it as evident as you choose.

Good luck and let us know how it all works out!

:)

Back