How would you break this down into a shot list?

The scene i'm referencing is from the film "The Craft":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPwzLo4xqA0

The scene is from the 35:15-36:27 mark,

How would you break that down into a shot list? How would you film it? When would you shoot the scene being acted out entirely with no interruptions? Close ups of scarring? Computer screens showing it? The scarred girls reaction to her healing? The doctors? How many times would you shoot the scene? Reset the cameras and lighting? In what ways would you reset them? How long do you think you'd take to film such a scene? Many takes? What's inserted into the scene?

I ask this because when i'm not thinking about what i'm watching, all of the cutaways/cuts/inserts become unnoticeable to me due to the contents entertainment value/me trying to enjoy the general feel/story of a scene. They are there however, and it's interesting to know how much time/work goes into those scenes --and what techniques are used, regardless of them being oblivious/irrelevant to the average viewer in my opinion.

Last edited:
I believe there were 6 or 7 shots in that. That coverage seems enough for that shot. The master shot also doubled as a CU, which is efficient.

When would you shoot the scene being acted out entirely with no interruptions?

This really depends on the cast, crew and needs of the shots/scene/post prod.

How many times would you shoot the scene?

Unless reshoots are necessary, once.

Reset the cameras and lighting?
In what ways would you reset them?

Depends on the needs of the coverage.

How long do you think you'd take to film such a scene?

How long is a piece of string?

Many takes?

Depends on the cast and crew. Sometimes you'll get it in 1 shot + 1 safety, other times you'll need to do it a lot of times. The scene looked mostly simple. It shouldn't have taken too much.

What's inserted into the shot?

eh?

I ask this because when i'm not thinking about what i'm watching, all of the cutaways/cuts/inserts become unnoticeable to me due to the contents entertainment value/me trying to enjoy the general feel/story of a scene. They are there however, and it's interesting to know how much time/work goes into those scenes --and what techniques are used, regardless of them being oblivious/irrelevant to the average viewer in my opinion.

Welcome to the magic of movie making.

One way to learn about film is to tear a movie apart. You watch it dozens of times. You watch with the sound off, you listen with the picture off, you listen to all of the commentaries, watch all of the extras. Read/watch/whatever everything you can about the production and post of the film. Glean what you can about the actors (and anyone else) on the set and in post. Get the script if you can. Analyze the shots, editing, pacing, lighting, wardrobe, set design, score, sound design/editing... the list goes on.

Have fun!

Back