How to get old DVDs to play one last time?

Hi,

Years ago I copied a bunch of VHS tapes to DVD having been led to believe they would last forever unlike VHS which at "best" would get mildewed after a while. Later experiences with recording to DVD worked well but the first bunch I did worked well for a while and then began to 'break down' or something. Even though there are no obvious scratches or damage they got so they would freeze up and just quit playing. I could remove them and run water over them then resume play from last stop and for a while that worked ok but there are still a few where that trick won't get them to play through to the end. I'm recording them as mp4 with Active Presenter playing them with VLC media player. Can anyone suggest a trick to get them to play through one last time???

Thank you for any help with this!

David
Maine, USA

To clean a DVD that stops playing part way through, follow these steps:

1. Wipe the DVD: Use a soft, lint-free cloth to gently wipe the DVD. Start at the center and wipe straight toward the outer edge in a straight line. Avoid wiping in circles, as this can scratch the disc.
  2. Use Cleaning Solution: If a dry cloth doesn't work, you can use a cleaning solution. Mix a small amount of dish soap with water. Dampen your cloth slightly with the solution and wipe the DVD as described above. Then, use a clean, dry cloth to wipe off any residue.
  3. Alcohol for Tough Marks: For tougher marks or smudges, isopropyl alcohol can be effective. Apply a small amount on a soft cloth and wipe as described. Ensure the DVD is completely dry before attempting to play it again.
  4. Inspect the DVD: Hold the disc up to a light source and look for any scratches or damage. If there are scratches deep enough to catch your fingernail, they may be the cause of the playback issues.
  5. Try in Another Player: Sometimes the issue might be with the DVD player itself. Try playing the DVD in another player to see if the issue persists.

If this is recordable media (DVD-R, +RW, etc.) they have a shorter lifespan than a typical DVD and what you are seeing is a breakdown of the data layer.

Back