How does one achieve this look?

How does one acheive a more TV look --I don't know if that's the right was to describe it, and when I say TV im primarily describing looks of reality TV shows and docu-series like the ones shown below-- versus a film look? With film I believe aspect ratios of 16:9, certain color grading/color correction, and shooting in 4k are examples of things that make video footage look more filmic. What's done to make something look more like a TV show of the genres mentioned above versus a film? What's done differently when using the same equipment? What type of camera settings are manipulated for each? How would you work a AJA cion for TV versus film for example? An arri camera? A DSLR? Have you ever filmed for a TV show of the genres mentioned above? How did you get the looks achieved? Were they like what i've described?

Example #1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44NgH_xf2N8

Example #2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqhWP7J5-vw

You seem to be thinking a little back to front, as well as mixing up some of your terms and specs. There's a substantial difference between film and video. Formats, best practice and specifications for film are dictated by SMPTE (the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers), while those for TV/video (in North America) are dictated by the ATSC (Advanced Television Systems Committee). Once you get your head around the pertinent formats/specs/practises you'll know the difference between film and video and how the "look" of each is dictated by those specs.

G

4:3 aspect ratio, 30 fps (or 60fps) interlaced instead of progressive, usually no lighting or just a top light mounted to the camera, wide angle shots, generally a lack of color correction/grading, lack of dynamic camera movement. I would also add that reality TV shows use multiple mounted cams (think "The Real World") that are of lower quality than the shoulder mounted cams that follow the subjects around. The look of reality tv, the news, etc isn't really a creative choice. Rather, the gear and shooting styles are based out of necessity for a quick turnaround and seamless integration with the footage/systems of other productions and television stations.

4K doesn't really have anything to do with creating a filmic look.

if any of this seems incorrect to the other users here, please let me know.

Last edited:
4:3 aspect ratio, 30 fps (or 60fps) interlaced instead of progressive, usually no lighting or just a top light mounted to the camera, wide angle shots, generally a lack of color correction/grading, lack of dynamic camera movement. I would also add that reality TV shows use multiple mounted cams (think "The Real World") that are of lower quality than the shoulder mounted cams that follow the subjects around. The look of reality tv, the news, etc isn't really a creative choice. Rather, the gear and shooting styles are based out of necessity for a quick turnaround and seamless integration with the footage/systems of other productions and television stations.

4K doesn't really have anything to do with creating a filmic look.

if any of this seems incorrect to the other users here, please let me know.

.... no nothing to add :coffee:

Another way to look at it is this. Reality TV and bad Documentary filmmaking is basically the LACK of cinematic filmmaking technique.

All you have to do is point a camera and shoot it and you'll get something that looks like your example. It's only when you take the time to light the scene, find the correct exposure, design your sets, choose your color pallets, shoot with a camera that has a great sensor, etc. that you'll get a more cinematic shot.

Last edited:
Back