• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How do you make a person transparent?

For my short film I'm writing, I need one of the characters to be transparent during some scenes. That would be easy to do but there are some scenes that he needs to be talking while invisible. I don't just want to dub the voice because I want the voice to sound like it's coming from a certain area in the room. I was told that it's more of a camera technique than just editing it. How exactly do you do it?

For my short film I'm writing, I need one of the characters to be transparent during some scenes. That would be easy to do but there are some scenes that he needs to be talking while invisible. I don't just want to dub the voice because I want the voice to sound like it's coming from a certain area in the room. I was told that it's more of a camera technique than just editing it. How exactly do you do it?

cough cough, so you want the voice to sound like its coming from a certain area, but you dont want to do dub.. and you dont want the person to be in the shot

or you could just be easier and do a dub and do some basic sound design so that it sounds like hes coming from a certain area in the film picture...

Alright. I'm new to all this and I don't know much about cameras. I'm more on the acting and writing side. Thanks for the help.

soz didnt mean to sound harsh or anything.

there is the camera technique, i mean i guess you gotta film it as if the person was in frame but isnt there, so you gotta kinda follow them around.

Dialog will be centered, Stereo dialog doesn't generally work for the audience. There are a couple of ways to do the effect, one of them will get you a live performance using a practical effect on set: http://www.dafe.org/articles/miscellaneous/peppersGhost.html

The rest are the post production effects... One I'd think of is using a rotomask of the "ghost" actor and using a second "Clean Plate" Layer at 50% transparency over that mask. If both the plate and actor's footage is shot from a locked and identical position, the background should look like it's showing through the actor's body.

I want the voice to sound like it's coming from a certain area in the room

Put on your headphones, and get a virtual haircut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgeFdOayeaw

That should give you some ideas on how much placement you can do, in stereo.

If I wanted a separate voice track with the same characteristics as the other other actors, I'd record the same scene twice.

Take #1: With the 'invisible' person in the shot, talking and interacting with the other actors.
Take #2: With invisible person standing off-camera giving their lines for the other actors to play to.

Then replace the invisible man's dialogue in take #2 with that from take #1.

Back