• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

video How do I make a video like this?

Hello everyone!

Hope you are all well!

I am probably the newibiest person on earth regards editing! I am in fact a music producer and I would really love to learn how to make my own videos.

I am absolutely in love with this video (and song too) and I was wondering if you could help me understand how I can recreate such effects:

There are a lot of effects but as a new guy, I literally don't know how they can be achieved. I really like the filter changes, are they just chopped videos of the same video with different filters on? How is the movement and flashing achieved?

Thank you for your patience!

Take care

They are plug-in play effects, pretty simple to implement actually.
Search around for "asset packs" you just take the video clips and put them on top of your own to get all the flashy cool sun glare effects, etc

Thank you for your reply!

I found this Glitchy effects on the website you gave me

1715152905429.png

But it says: Application supported Premiere Pro!

I was wondering if I could use these affects in Adobe Rush?

Maybe I am making some confusion. When you said "search around for assets packs", it means downloading some of these fx/transition packs from envato?

Thanks very much!

Thank you for your reply!

I found this Glitchy effects on the website you gave me

1715152905429.png

But it says: Application supported Premiere Pro!

I was wondering if I could use these affects in Adobe Rush?

Maybe I am making some confusion. When you said "search around for assets packs", it means downloading some of these fx/transition packs from envato?

Thanks very much!

Ah that website is just for premiere then, I apologize if I linked it earlier, I copied and pasted the first two hits for 'asset pack music video' that I found as generic examples of asset packs to get you started on your search.

Here is one that should work with any video editor... it doesn't specifically say rush but you could email them and ask

- Adobe Premiere Pro / After Effects
- DaVinci Resolve
- Final Cut Pro
- CapCut
- Filmora
- Vegas Pro
- LumaFusion
- Avid Media Composer
- CyberLink PowerDirector
- Movavi Video Editor
- HitFilm Express
- Magix Movie
- Pinnacle Studio
- Corel VideoStudio

Last edited:
Hello!

I'm finding a bit of trouble finding the right stuff as I am very new to this world and not sure what things mean.

Do Template, Plugin Effects, Transition, Overlay, Asset Packs mean the same things?

Thank you!

Hello!

I'm finding a bit of trouble finding the right stuff as I am very new to this world and not sure what things mean.

Do Template, Plugin Effects, Transition, Overlay, Asset Packs mean the same things?

Thank you!
I believe you want an asset pack of overlays, and possibly some transitions.

Per chatGPT to define all the terms for you:

1. Template: A pre-designed project file that can be customized. It typically includes placeholders for videos, images, and text which can be replaced with your own content.
  2. Plugin: Software that adds specific functions or effects to an existing program. Plugins can provide new tools or features that are not originally included in the software.
  3. Effects: These are specific changes applied to a clip to alter its appearance or sound. Examples include color correction, blur, and distortions.
  4. Transition: The animation or effect that happens between two clips. Transitions are used to smoothly switch from one scene to another, like fades or wipes.
  5. Overlay: An image or video that is layered over another in a clip. Overlays can be used for effects like light leaks, weather effects, or to add graphic elements.
  6. Asset Packs: Collections of media files or resources such as sound effects, music, video clips, or digital images. These are used to enhance the video production.

Last edited:
I see you're spinning your wheels a bit, I'll try to provide more detailed instructions since you're new
I don't do music videos, but I can speak from experience about compositing actionVFX

Gun shots and blood sprays, etc are all stuff I've gotten very good at
It's not exactly what you were looking for but there's tons of FREE ASSETS on their page you can practice with

For overlay you basically just drag and drop, and change the blend mode and you're done.

Example of an actionVFX overlay I've used in my movie:

You could download that rain right now for free and then plop it into your editor and gain some confidence/experience.

Edit: I'm starting to think Adobe Rush is too simple to handle overlay assets.
I'm searching around on youtube and I can't find examples of anyone doing it.

When they do overlay video, I don't see a BLEND MODE, an essential option for using overlay assets.
Maybe its under the Advanced that nobody opens, idk, seems like a very bad sign that I can't find anyone doing it.

Maybe look into another free editor?
Davinci Resolve is free *IF* if you have a GPU that can handle it.

Doesn't have to be state of the art, but does need a dedicated GPU in your computer.

Last edited:
Sorry didn't see this thread for a while. Sean is right about everything, but I'll see if I can add a bit of helpful detail.

This video relies mostly on a few specific effects.

I can only tell you the DaVinci specific names, but the effects should be named something similar in all editing programs.

For the overlays, this video uses a random mix of blend types including add, multiply, divide, overlay, and normal. Experiment around, and you'll figure out what each does faster than I can tell you. try combining the opacity slider with each mode, as some of them will work much better at lower opacity settings, and some will only work well at 100%.

Much of the psychedelic symmetry in this video is achieved with an instance or several of the "mirror" effect. Like if you want quad symmetry, you just use two mirrors on an adjustment layer, one horizontal and one vertical. More often they are just using a single mirror layer on default settings. so it's one drag and drop to get that.

Something else they are doing is to simply use the inversion effect. White is black, red is green. It just reverses the color space.

Most of this is stock footage, or asset packs, kind of the same thing, like saying eggs, or carton of eggs. Some better assets come with alpha channel built in, and can be overlayed without modification. A common example is rain clips that can just be dropped on top of other clips and work out of the box. Since you're new to this, I should add that if you get something like a rain clip, and it's not transparent, first check in the clip settings of that clip, and make sure it's set to "premultiplied alpha" as opposed to "no alpha", which is the default in resolve. If a clip has a black background, and no alpha channel, then use the "Add" or "lighter" blend modes. This often produces a worse composite, but for some things such as rain, it's fine. Often for something like a weather effect, you might dial down the opacity to taste, even after you have a successful alpha composite.

For a good sized searchable library of many kits for a low monthly subscription, I'd recommend motion array.

I see you're spinning your wheels a bit, I'll try to provide more detailed instructions since you're new
I don't do music videos, but I can speak from experience about compositing actionVFX

Gun shots and blood sprays, etc are all stuff I've gotten very good at
It's not exactly what you were looking for but there's tons of FREE ASSETS on their page you can practice with

For overlay you basically just drag and drop, and change the blend mode and you're done.

Example of an actionVFX overlay I've used in my movie:

You could download that rain right now for free and then plop it into your editor and gain some confidence/experience.

Edit: I'm starting to think Adobe Rush is too simple to handle overlay assets.
I'm searching around on youtube and I can't find examples of anyone doing it.

When they do overlay video, I don't see a BLEND MODE, an essential option for using overlay assets.
Maybe its under the Advanced that nobody opens, idk, seems like a very bad sign that I can't find anyone doing it.

Maybe look into another free editor?
Davinci Resolve is free *IF* if you have a GPU that can handle it.

Doesn't have to be state of the art, but does need a dedicated GPU in your computer.

Thank you very much for all this info! I will definitefly check out action vfx.com! Yeah I agree regards Adobe Rush, I don't seem to find anyone doing it. Thanks for explaining about the blend mode, I will try Davinci Resolve and try some of these free overlay and see how they work!

Sorry didn't see this thread for a while. Sean is right about everything, but I'll see if I can add a bit of helpful detail.

This video relies mostly on a few specific effects.

I can only tell you the DaVinci specific names, but the effects should be named something similar in all editing programs.

For the overlays, this video uses a random mix of blend types including add, multiply, divide, overlay, and normal. Experiment around, and you'll figure out what each does faster than I can tell you. try combining the opacity slider with each mode, as some of them will work much better at lower opacity settings, and some will only work well at 100%.

Much of the psychedelic symmetry in this video is achieved with an instance or several of the "mirror" effect. Like if you want quad symmetry, you just use two mirrors on an adjustment layer, one horizontal and one vertical. More often they are just using a single mirror layer on default settings. so it's one drag and drop to get that.

Something else they are doing is to simply use the inversion effect. White is black, red is green. It just reverses the color space.

Most of this is stock footage, or asset packs, kind of the same thing, like saying eggs, or carton of eggs. Some better assets come with alpha channel built in, and can be overlayed without modification. A common example is rain clips that can just be dropped on top of other clips and work out of the box. Since you're new to this, I should add that if you get something like a rain clip, and it's not transparent, first check in the clip settings of that clip, and make sure it's set to "premultiplied alpha" as opposed to "no alpha", which is the default in resolve. If a clip has a black background, and no alpha channel, then use the "Add" or "lighter" blend modes. This often produces a worse composite, but for some things such as rain, it's fine. Often for something like a weather effect, you might dial down the opacity to taste, even after you have a successful alpha composite.

For a good sized searchable library of many kits for a low monthly subscription, I'd recommend motion array.

Thank you so much for the detailed reply! Thank you for the advice for the overlay, the psychedelic and the inversion effects and also for clips that are not transparent! I'm downloading DaVinci Resolve now an will play around with stuff following your advice! 🙏

Hello guys,

I'm back already! I'm not able to use Davinci Resolve 19 as soon as I put an effect over a video, it lags massively and it's impossible to use. Not sure if I am doing something wrong but I think my laptop might not be meeting the requirements.

Apologies but I know very little of what specs are good for video editing. These are mine:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 @1.00gHZ, 4 cores
RAM: 8gb
SSD: 250gb
GPU: Intel (R) UHD Graphics

Is this enough spec for doing videos I'd like to do (short music video with few effects + overlays)? If not with Davinci perhaps with another free video editor that may use less CPU? or is the GPU that determines the lag? So weird, the playback works okay until I put just 1 effect and then doesn't even start if I press play.

Sorry for these newbie questions. I'm so new to this!

Thank you in advance!

Your computer needs a dedicated GPU to run davinci resolve, unfortunately.
The GPU listed "Intel(R) UHD Graphics," isn't a graphics card, it's part of the CPU/Intel Core i5-1035G1.

What operating system does your laptop run on

Fair enough, I was imagining so! My laptop runs on Windows 10!

I do have another computer (desktop) which I use exclusively for making music and it was built for that purpose (i7, 500 ssd, 32gb RAM) but no GPU.

I'm guessing there is no possibility apart from getting a better computer?

Are there any other softwares that requires less powerfull GPU but still allow to use Overlay/Blend?

Thank you!

Fair enough, I was imagining so! My laptop runs on Windows 10!

I do have another computer (desktop) which I use exclusively for making music and it was built for that purpose (i7, 500 ssd, 32gb RAM) but no GPU.

I'm guessing there is no possibility apart from getting a better computer?

Are there any other softwares that requires less powerfull GPU but still allow to use Overlay/Blend?

Thank you!
Can't say off the top of my head for windows.. youre gonna have to google around for that one.
Best of luck! Maybe try the free trial of premiere pro.

Last edited:
You could probably add a GPU to your 32gig rig RAM machine pretty cheap. It makes a huge difference in terms of editing speed. A 200 dollar GPU might go a long way for you. I would warn though that editing with a lot of layers and blends, and alpha, etc, can often slow down even a strong machine, so temper expectations.

Another possibility is finding an online editing service that will just stream you an editor from a powerful computer. The most hassle but best result is to just rent a whole editing machine online, at which point you can edit on an 8,000 dollar computer for maybe 15 bucks an hour. You do have to install your software and footage on the remote machine though. If you're just starting out, I'd look at the more automated stuff first.

I don't use them personally, so I can't give you any recommendations, but I'd be surprised if there weren't 50 places that let you edit footage online for a subscription or hourly fee.

One more pro tip, this is basic stuff for future computers you buy or build for editing. Editing uses processing, processing creates heat, if your computer starts getting hot, it throttles itself down so that it doesn't catch your house on fire. This is important because FANS. Editing machines need big fans. Buy a desktop, with lots of airflow and several large fans inside. You'll find that an 800 dollar desktop with fans will run 3x faster than a 1800 dollar laptop, for editing purposes where you are constantly maxing out the cpu and gpu.

1715338949238.png

(a GPU good for video editing. Note how 75% of the surface of the device is covered in giant fans.)

Back