• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How do I get that look ?

Hello.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/709/008ony.jpg

I was wondering how did they got this incredible golden look ? The envelopes at the corners look amazingly beautiful as well as the right side of the map .

This is the exact look I want to go for at one of the scenes for my next short .

I can imagine warm lighting and boost the highlights towards yellow but I don't think this will give me such '' golden '' look .

Any ideas ?

Looks like a warming filter was used on the lens, or in post -- or more likely both.

Here's a quick (rough) approximation just in post processing...

Original image:
8581150928_cd42e4fcef.jpg

Slight exposure adjustment, warming filter, slight lens distortion, contrast adjustment, and a vignette:
8580051479_74c24ceb3d.jpg

Obviously lighting it intending to get that specific look would be helpful, this is just some random image from google. ;)

its all production design...

Note the colors of the wood wall... the yellowed envelopes.. the land mass on the map..

also note the key contrast color.. the blue of the other room, the blue on the typewriter, the blue of the water....

Add the lighting.. the key light from the left is HMI or out door, the lamp on the desk is tungsten, so if the camera is White Balanced for outdoor, the the tungsten will give that nice oragey light..

EDIT; Looking at the light on the phone next to the desk, I think the light is all WB the same, the yellowish glow on the wall is coming just from the lamp shade..

Orange and Teal two grate taste that taste great together

Last edited:
If you look at the envelopes on the left side of the map, you see their shadow falls to the right. So there's obviously light coming from frame left.

My guess is just a soft warm light. Maybe something like a Kino with a warm gel/warm tubes. My guess is, that it's to the left at the bottom of the table, somewhere near the door frame. I don't think it's quite on the ground, but raised a little, so there's no shadow from the table. Then the practical lamp on the desk has a warm bulb in it which lights up right side of frame. Way too overexposed for my taste :) (Probably shot at something around 5600K in camera and tungsten tubes used in Kino at 3200K and practical also 3200K. )

Then there's just a light with a colder color temperature shining in from that door frame. I think the door is open and it's something like a dedo/low watt Arri shining in to give him definition on his face but to also light up the desk a little. I assume they're flagging the light off on the wall side, so it' doesnt spill on the warm area of the wall! (Light from outside either HMI or CTB on tungsten fresnel. Probably 300ish watt)

Last edited:
yeah, and you can see something coming from the right that looks a bit more blue ,judging from the highlight on the corner of the phone.. but might be white reflecting "blue" in the phone plastic..

I'd say a tungsten light camera left, and the camera right light looks like it's an outside window. Considering how yellow the practical is, I'd suggest a fair bit of the colour comes from the grade, but it's also very much to do with the colour of the production design.

Interesting anecdote about how David Mullens achieved a de-saturated American flag in one shot in one of his film: they simply used a black and white flag. Not everything needs to be over-complicated :)

Back