• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

campaign Hi, My name is Steve Pace and I am an indie filmmaker from Edmonton, Alberta Canada.

jw.jpg
rotp.jpg

Return of The Phoenix

Watched the promo.

I'm planning to do a similar launch at some point, and I've done a lot of research on case studies for crowdfunding campaigns. Basically the ones you see succeeding have been "primed" before launch. The hosting sites try to pick up on which projects have inertia, and people realized this, and started running ads for the campaigns before they launched.

Here's how it works. Two campaigns launch on the same day. One of them actually needs the money, one is a person who just wants more money. The people that need funding launch their page and the first day 100 people visit and 5 donate. Your score is 5. The funded person puts 10k into google ads the day before the campaign launches. Those ads deliver 5 million people to the page on the first day. Let's say yours is better. Way better. Let's say that 10x as many people react positively to your project.

This is the math. 5% of 100 is 5, 0.5% of 5 million is 25,000. Your score is 5 and their score is 25,000. These scores are used by the hosing site, kickstarter, indiegogo, etc, to help determine page placement. Projects that people are really exited about belong on the front page, right? So the person who's project is only 10% as good as yours, but had money to rig the game, will be seen by the system as literally 5,000 times more important than you. Once they are on page 1, getting free advertising to millions per day, they will be making real money. Money that they can recycle into further ad pushes, simply watching the ROI line, and quitting while they are ahead. They now have 2 huge advantages working in tandem. It's day 4, and your page can only be found at random by a person who clicks through 74 other pages of similar campaigns, vastly reducing your odds of a donation outside your social or influence group. You can't afford ads, because you couldn't get donations, because you couldn't afford ads. Now 22 people have donated by day 10, and the other campaign that started off with 10k in disposable cash, has raised 171,000 dollars. They put 20k back into more ads to get there, and now they can make a 151,000 dollar movie.

It's unfortunate, but essentially, the system is rigged for the most help to go to those who need it the least. It's not intentional, they were just trying to create a situation where people could find the projects that the public was most excited about. The sites themselves are not rigged at all, but if you combine them with other sites and services you can game the system. So in 2023, every major crowdfunding site's first 30 pages of featured campaigns are by people who did so.

Essentially, creativity only works on a financial level if you treat it like a business. "You gotta spend money to make money".

I did a search by category on your funding site, and it looks like you picked a tertiary site, which was probably a good idea, and a bad one, it makes it easier on the uphill, but limits your win scenario. Your thumbnail is on the front page for thriller, but that may be because you just launched.

Anyway, I hope this information is helpful. Feel free to research and verify what I'm saying here by finding campaigns that were successful, and tracing back the history of how it happened. I'm sure there are exceptions, but in general, the above is what I see happening.

BTW, if you do have some cash to prime it, you can run the court on a small site like that with just a few grand. Best of luck. Google Adwords is the tool used to drive search traffic to your campaign page.

Last edited:
Back