• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Help with my Canon 60D

Ok it's not like "general" help more like TIP...

So I am trying to do some SLOW MOTION videos using TWIXTOR - I tried once but the slow motion is really terrible blurry and shit ...

I used to film in 50 or 60fps (720p) but I've been told by SO many people to film in 24fps when I do that I get shit slow motion effects... it looks better in 50/60fps but they all say it's not CINEMATIC or FILM standard... I am very confused... I went on youtube and there are a lot of guys filming in 24FPS with STUNNING slow motion... I really dont get that?... how can I do that? also I heard for good results in films and music videos I shoul keep in aroun 50-60shutter speed... (I got canon 60D with Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 lenses)

Tips please? :(:huh:

film at 50fps, shutter speed at double so 100, for the best slow motion, you want the subject further away from the camera, if its closer it will produce some funny ghosting.

although twixtor is mainly used for ultra slow motion, in which case i believe you want really really bright lighing and really high shutter speed

http://philipbloom.net/2011/09/13/twixtor/

but for bog standard slow motion, have a 23.98 timeline (what i work with) then take your 50fps clip into the timeline, in fcpx and select conform which will bring the clip to the timeline fps resulting in slow motion.

As salacious said, you'll want to adjust the shutter speed. What your essentially doing is giving yourself less motion blur in your shot. So a higher frame rate and higher shutter speed will equal less motion blur. Using a higher frame rate with say 24fps filming, will give you a strobing type effect (see opening scene in Saving Private Ryan). A stylistic effect for sure. But for slow motion, it will give clean enough results every single filmed frame, that you'll have nice clean slow motion. The faster the action in the scene, the fast the shutter speed might need to be. I don't think there is a definitive value when doing this. I've seen guys filming martial arts style action, with one shutter speed, and go to the skate park and film slow motion with another. Best to do some test shots before the final filming.

Last edited:
Back