• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Got a couple photography questions.

Been playing around with my Canon T2i. There is that option that allows you switch from tungsten light, to white fluorescent, to flash, etc. I have been shooting with it on auto pretty much all before, but when it comes to doing action shots when you want to pan the camera, the photography changes once the camera is moved to a different section of the room. How do I decide which light setting is best for which room? And if I make a mistake or change my mind, can this be tweaked in post? Could I also say, switch from the white fluorescent light look to tungsten light look in post to for example, or is that not possible?

Another thing is ISO vs. aperture. If I want a shallow depth of field, turning up the aperture increases light exposure. So in order to bring the light back down, I have to decrease the ISO. But even though sometimes when shooting a scene, it still doesn't look the same for the shallow depth of field shot in the scene. The scene might have a deep depth of field, then I will switch angels to a shallow depth of field shot, in the same scene but from a different angle.

Even with the ISO a notch down, it still looks different from before, and I can't get the exposure of the shallow depth of field shots, to match the deep depth of field shots. In one the footage looks a little more red with the ISO turned down for example.

Another thing I like is ISO grain. I like it just for style. But if I want a shallow DOP, I have to turn down the ISO of course. So the grain will not be in the shallow shots as well. So I want to learn how to keep the exposure the same looking in all the shots, and how to keep the grain the same in all the shots, even though I am constantly having to pick between the two? Can I have both?

1. That's your camera's white balance. Avoid auto. Set the dial to whatever type of light you're using.

2. If you miss that, yes you can often tweak the color in post unless it's so far off that the entire shot is orange or blue.

3. Aperture isn't the only thing that sets DOF. Focal length too. Wider shots are more deep, telephoto more shallow. Distance from the camera also affects it. Also, distance to background. If you have 20 feet behind the actor to the wall in shot A and 3 feet behind the other actor to the wall in B, then A will appear to be more shallow/blurry just because of the distance of the background.

4. Add grain in post of you must. I really think the noise on the canon crop DSLRs is awful, but I'd you like it it's not hard to fake. You can put ND on the lens and boost the ISO on set too. Again, backwards but hey...

Back