• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Good Lighting?

At that low, low price, the CFLs included are most likely going to throw a lot of RF interference and you'll need to make sure you have a audio capture system that will deal well with that... or you'll collect useless audio full of RF buzz. I invested ~$1000 to deal with that for my setup so I can use those bulbs. You can buy better bulbs, but it'll defeat the purpose of getting a budget setup (which is cost savings).

Caveat Emptor

Specifically with wired mics... the cords act like antennae to pick up the RF signal from things in the environment. Balanced XLR audio equipment helps alleviate much of this though, so if you've spent enough on your audio setup, it shouldn't be as much of a problem.

I had planned on purchasing this: http://www.amazon.com/ePhoto-H9004S...TF8&colid=3GEX5PH9XRHA3&coliid=I2XYYFU2KY5ZOD

It is close to 200 dollars with decent reviews. Four lights, not a bad deal, and I need some decent lights for filmmaking.

However, do you think this is worth it, and if not do you have any better suggestions in the same price range or lower?

The best thing for you to buy is a set of mini red heads and a Flag kit! You can manipulate lighting a lot more with Flags.

Look at 'Bouncing' light as well off of walls and reflectors.

Back