• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

gonna film tomorrow in a big club

So I'm gonna film tomorrow in a big club. It is pretty dark there, some strobos and things yeah but still. Since it's my first time ever to film some kind of event, what settings do you recommend for me? For this time I have to use 18-55IS. I've heard that I should keep my f as open as possible but this is the only thing I've heard so far.

Keep your hands steady and make sure the shot looks well enough lit on the viewfinder. Clubs are a fun shoot, all those lights (and girls!) make for easy eye candy.

Learn your camera settings before the shoot, i'm not going to explain that to you.

Have fun!

Why should I need to record audio when I can add the same artist track on Sony Vegas? I'm just gonna shoot visuals, I don't need to record audio because it wouldn't sound as nice as mastered studio track and subwoofers in clubs are banging over your ears, so it would probably sound pretty bad and ruin the whole video.

Open the Aperture open as wide as possible, then add a ton more light if you can, stick a 1k up in a corner and rake light across the top of the audience from one corner of the place to the other... a 2K would be better (depending on the size of the venue). Even clubs and bars that seem really well lit, it's still lower than the camera wants. Last shoot I did in a bar I added 1500watts of light and it was still too dim... just barely got an image (of course, I've got a really big lens, lots of glass, lots of light lost).

You will need 1.8 or better on the lens, do not forget you will have razor thin DOF when you open up the lens enough to let max light in. Have you done any test shooting in the same environment ? As suggested above, light if you can, otherwise, you will have to settle.

If you are not using some lights, Im thinking you would need 800 ISO to get the image bright enough. I would worry it would be grainy and have focus issues. The YTube vid you gave as an example suffered some of those issues, but it worked

Have fun & learn

Last edited:
Back