• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

From FCP to Premiere and vice versa

Hello all.

I know it's possible to export a project from FCP to Premiere (windows) and vice versa, but which is the best way, EDL or XML? I know Premiere has an "Final Cut XML" option in export.

I never did this and i dont know if it's totally reliable and i would like to know your opinions and experience.

For professional reasons, there will be times that i'll need to save a file in FCP and continue in Premiere and vice versa.

Thank you all.

For work (I'm an editor), exporting XML is best. Then open up in Premiere. If I'm remembering correctly.

This happened when the company I work for moved a lot of the old FCP 7 projects to Premiere Pro. But I had trouble opening it up with Premiere CC.. I had to open up the XML in CS6, then open that up in CC... so I had to piggyback it for some reason.

Give that a try. But yes, you'll want to check what Premiere brings in with your old FCP project to make sure everything was transferred okay. I've had in and out points get screwed up before, but this last time around everything worked pretty smoothly.

Back