• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

software Freeform for Brainstorming and Outlining

I just got a new M2 MacBook Air from Costco for $900, and it came preinstalled with an app called "Freeform". I had seen this app on my iPhone 14 Pro as well and decided to see what it was all about. As I started using it, I realized that this could maybe be used to brainstorm a movie. You can add sticky notes to act as index cards, images, links for research, and regular text too. It's like taking Final Draft's beat board and making that feature available for free. I've started planning another movie in Freeform and I have to say, I dig it. With as well as it's working, I don't even see the need to go into FD at this point. Plus it's nice that this opens on my phone, so I don't even have to switch windows or programs while I'm writing. I might do my next script in Fade In, which I also own, just to mix things up.

Anyone else using this?

Screenshot 2023-09-03 at 4.08.52 PM.png

Looks like a nice, direct GUI for planning. I use PC for heavy lifting, but I have an Ipad pro for exactly this type of stuff, mobile organization. I'll check this out if it's in the app store. It's the same M2 processor, so I would think it would be.

Looks like a nice, direct GUI for planning. I use PC for heavy lifting, but I have an Ipad pro for exactly this type of stuff, mobile organization. I'll check this out if it's in the app store. It's the same M2 processor, so I would think it would be.
Same. Use my custom PC for editing and VFX and a Macbook to run the business and plan the films. It might already be installed on your iPad. Curious to hear yours and Mara's thoughts on it.

Last edited:
Back