• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Follow focus while moving the camera?

Hello,

I am new (no surprise there) and i am trying to wrap my head around manually focusing everything that i shoot since i have no experience shooting video with dslr cameras

what i am most concerned about is something like a moving shot (kind of like a Lip Dub video perhaps, see grand rapid lip dub) where the camera is always moving. if it was a one cameraman job and he is walking and moving the camera, is it even possible to pull focus correctly while holding the camera? (provided the camera has a mount) ...if there were a camera assistant would the camera assistant walk with the camera operator to pull focus with this shot?

also, how do they pull focus when they have the camera on a rig such as a fig rig, crane, movi, etc...

this might seem like a stupid question but thanks anyways!

Last edited:
Ok, I'll admit I didn't look up the video you referenced, and I'm just a hobbyist, so I'm sure more experienced members will offer advice as well. A lot would depend on the subject you are focusing on. If it was a singular person who is moving, then you could set your focus, and know how close or far you can be from that subject and they still stay in focus. There are depth of field calculators that can tell you the min and max focus distance for a specific f stop. Then you just make sure you move along with them and stay within the proper range. If its multiple subjects, that's a different story all together.

Ok, check out the video you mentioned (well first min) Looks like their using a smaller f stop, because a lot is in focus. So they didn't have much to worry about, other then keeping their framing. Also looks like their using a steady cam, on the back of a truck. The camera seems just above head height, and moving fairly smooth.

As anyone else will tell you, practice practice practice. If you have kids, take them to the park, and follow them around with your camera, and try to keep them in focus. No kids, go annoy some friends or family members.

Yeah, nothing in the shot is out of focus, including the background so there is no focus to pull..

but when doing handheld with a shallower DOF there are a few tips..
use a Wide angle lens
focus with your feet, try and keep a constant distance to the subject rather than focusing with the lens..
Have someone hold on to your belt or shirt collar and keep you from worrying about curbs, steps, and other
obstacles so you can focus on focus.. lol
use a follow focus
Dont expect every frame of the the shot to be in focus, make it part of the aesthetic.

Use a Follow Focus. Even when operating and pulling your own focus, it much easier with an FF.

The rig you use will determine how your Focus Puller would pull focus. For stock standard handheld, using lenses with decent witness markings, your focus puller can walk alongside with a whip and pull either via the marks or a monitor.

On a Stradicam or a Movi, a wireless Follow Focus would be attached, and the Focus Puller would pull remotely - again either via the marks (that they transfer to the wireless hand unit) or a monitor. Or both.

If you are practicing for a certain scene though, perhaps instead of practicing outside, you should practice indoors, under similar lights, to get the feel what aperture works for what scene. If this is a good thing to do, I am no expert either.

Back