• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Foley

Hello,

I'm looking for information on the current and future state of foley production companies, both for indie and studio films. Is the industry moving towards the digital creation of foley sound? For example will the physical reproduction of footsteps eventually be recreated with the touch of a keyboard?

Thank you.

How to answer this..........

Nothing beats real Foley. You have to keep in mind that Foley covers more than footsteps; it includes cloth (clothing movements), hand work (touches, slides, handshakes), fighting/impacts, kisses and many other human made object/other person interaction sounds. But it also includes enhancing explosions & crashes (debris, etc.), and creating unusual sounds like food impacting (i.e. in "Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs" hamburgers and other food falling from the sky) and all sorts of fantasy, sci-fi and horror sounds (magic, creatures, gore).

What has been found is that it often takes less time/money to create these sounds in real time with talented Foley artists than it does to have sound editors search through enormous sound libraries, then layer and manipulate them.

Now, it is becoming more common at the mid and low budget levels to do simple Foley, like footsteps, with samplers. You load in a pre-edited footsteps library and then "perform" the Foley by using a keyboard. This is a good alternative for those who do not have access to mics, pres, etc. and a space with appropriate surfaces.

But nothing beats the unique sound and feel of original Foley performances. You don't recycle exactly the same scripts, exactly the same shots, the same wardrobes, exactly the same edits, exactly the same score, etc., etc., etc., do you? So why recycle exactly the same footsteps and other Foley? The beauty of a new film lies in its uniqueness, including all of the sounds.

Great Foley is very subtle, vastly enhancing the characters and the story. Leaving Foley up to "machines" turns it into a video game.

How to answer this..........

Nothing beats real Foley. You have to keep in mind that Foley covers more than footsteps; it includes cloth (clothing movements), hand work (touches, slides, handshakes), fighting/impacts, kisses and many other human made object/other person interaction sounds. But it also includes enhancing explosions & crashes (debris, etc.), and creating unusual sounds like food impacting (i.e. in "Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs" hamburgers and other food falling from the sky) and all sorts of fantasy, sci-fi and horror sounds (magic, creatures, gore).

What has been found is that it often takes less time/money to create these sounds in real time with talented Foley artists than it does to have sound editors search through enormous sound libraries, then layer and manipulate them.

Now, it is becoming more common at the mid and low budget levels to do simple Foley, like footsteps, with samplers. You load in a pre-edited footsteps library and then "perform" the Foley by using a keyboard. This is a good alternative for those who do not have access to mics, pres, etc. and a space with appropriate surfaces.

But nothing beats the unique sound and feel of original Foley performances. You don't recycle exactly the same scripts, exactly the same shots, the same wardrobes, exactly the same edits, exactly the same score, etc., etc., etc., do you? So why recycle exactly the same footsteps and other Foley? The beauty of a new film lies in its uniqueness, including all of the sounds.

Great Foley is very subtle, vastly enhancing the characters and the story. Leaving Foley up to "machines" turns it into a video game.

Maybe I'm just in a sentimental mood, but this was a beautifully written and oddly inspiring response. Made me fall a little bit more in love with film.

Maybe I'm just in a sentimental mood, but this was a beautifully written and oddly inspiring response. Made me fall a little bit more in love with film.

Thank you.

But that is truly the way I feel about sound. I pay attention to sound the way that most of the rest of you pay attention to visuals. (BTW, my wife is a professional graphic artist/designer by trade and a very talented photographer on her own time; so I understand visuals!) Having spent much of my professional career as a musician I tend to think of film sound in musical terms; I like building and releasing tensions, creating contrasts and harmonies.

Sound can also be useful in everyday life. I knew when I went outside today that my neighborhood sounded "different." I realized that I wasn't hearing I-95, which is east of me, about four (4) miles away. I don't hear it in the late Spring to mid Fall (foliage deadens the noise) but the rest of the year it is quite clear. When I turned on the radio there was a major traffic tie-up south of us that was slowing traffic, so I wasn't hearing the tire whine. In fact, the whole neighborhood was a little quieter, as everyone went for alternate routes (I-287 south of me, Merritt/Hutch Parkway west of me), and the heavier traffic slowed them down. It also lets me know that local traffic will be heavier, so I took a very roundabout route to and from CostCo to avoid most of the extra traffic.

Back