• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Flickering Lighting

I have a scene planned out for my upcoming short which involves quite a lot of flickering lights, is there anyway this can be done in post? Or is just easier and better looking if done on set? If so, how can this be done, is there a way the lights can be tweaked to be made to flicker? Do I need old light bulbs etc. Maybe it isnt as hard as I am making out to be haha!

Very few things should be assigned to the "fix it in post" bin.

Can you elaborate on "quite a lot of flickering lights"? From plain ol' xmas tree lights to computerised random pattern generators to cheapo light dimmer switches, there's a dozen ways to manipulate many types of light sources.

What are you trying to do? :)

True! The more real the better! Ahaha yes sorry about that, I should have been clearer. Basically, it is for a psychological thriller, and what I want is for lights to flicker very subtly to suggest a sense of madness which increases throughout the film. What I want to flicker is just simple table lamps and bedroom lights (like the hanging down bulbs), them kinda lights. Or would it be easier to use my lights positioned around the actor (behind the camera and in non-visible places) which flicker to give the effect that it is actually the lights in the room that are flickering? Thank you for your help by the way Steve, much appreciated! :)

For small nightstand lights, you might get away with plain flickering lightbulbs. Very cheap. They tend to have lower wattage overall, but it can still be very effective when supplementing the rest of your lighting. This is basically a straight-up bulb replacement of on-set practicals. Probably not good if you don't have the actual light source in the shot.

If you need to use larger bulbs, you can rent a Magic Gadget light box fairly cheaply from your local rental house. It's very small & portable, and has dozens of pre-programmed presets. I'd be very surprised if it didn't have a random pattern suitable for you. (MG have a few different models; some allowing independent control of multiple lights at once).

With this type of shot, the flickering lights is more of a supplement to the scene's existing lighting.

That's a few ideas to get you started, anyway. :)

With this type of shot, the flickering lights is more of a supplement to the scene's existing lighting.

Thats the exact thing I'm going for, thanks a lot for the tips! I think I'm gonna go for the flickering bulbs as I reckon they'd be enough to supplement it, if I have a bunch plodded away im sure I'll be able to do it, thanks steve!

Is there a place in your area that sells party lights? We use to have electronic stores here in the States called Radio Shack that sold "Strobe Lights" and "Disco Lights" that would flash by the percussion of music because they could be plugged into steroes.

Yes, you can indeed use the brightness/levels to vary the lighting in post in a global way... and you can animate the keyframes to flicker in a wonderfully random way :) Using this so supplement real lighting effects will be the most effective.

AE, Shake, even your NLE will do this effect.

Is there a place in your area that sells party lights? We use to have electronic stores here in the States called Radio Shack that sold "Strobe Lights" and "Disco Lights" that would flash by the percussion of music because they could be plugged into steroes.

Only problem with this I'm thinking is that I reckon they will produce too much light at a too faster rate, kinda looking for that creepy castle candle feel, but i'll have a look into it, thanks for the suggestion though

Yes, you can indeed use the brightness/levels to vary the lighting in post in a global way... and you can animate the keyframes to flicker in a wonderfully random way :) Using this so supplement real lighting effects will be the most effective.

AE, Shake, even your NLE will do this effect.

Glad to hear if I screw it up on set, at least there will be a chance to fix it ahaha! I think i'll go for them flickering bulbs on ebay, shoot one scene with them and one scene without them, edit after and see what the best results are, cheers!

You can indeed keyframe brightness, but it's a lot harder to animate 'lightfall' and shadows that are generated by the flickering lights.
Post should be used to enhance the effect.
Replacing it in post will look fake, unless you have an ocean of time and a lot of experience of a very flat compostion.

Back