• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Filming in scope. 80% handheld?

I was thinking of shooting 80% handheld, and I want the scope ratio, I dont think I will be making the film this year but if I can get it off the ground thats how I wanted to do it.

since its cheaper to film with DSLR's since there will be green screen. and the fact I will have a LOT of setups.
( I want to be visually aggressive) watch blade, LXG or Blood the last vampire and the shield thats what I am going for. the other 20% are Miniature effects shots that would have to be shot level.

Do some tests and watch them fully.

Get objective friends to watch it too and share their opinions.

I think 80% handheld will likely be far to much and will be uncomfortable (nauseous) for your audience/viewers.

Paul Greengrass's movies look to be 100% handheld and I'm guessing he wouldn't keep getting hired unless the producers didn't like that, and people still go to see his movies. Since DSLRs are lighter perhaps if you hook weights up to the camera, it might help maybe?

Paul Greengrass's movies look to be 100% handheld and I'm guessing he wouldn't keep getting hired unless the producers didn't like that, and people still go to see his movies.

I think this was discussed in one of your (harmonica44) threads. Some one posted a photo of the type of 'handheld' rig used by Greengrass - it was some hyper expensive $20k+ piece of gear ... and many people still complain about (a) not liking the 'handheld' look, and feeling sick during his movies. Going handheld with cheap indie gear - I would say would be a big no no. Very small clips may be okay.

yah maybe I should be focusing on pre production first. I still don't have a script.

Yeah, I'd sort the script out first.

Last edited:
If you don't have a script, how do you know what 'look' you want? The visual style should follow the needs of the story, not the other way around. You may have an idea for the story, or even an outline. But until you'v gone through the process of working up a script, you won't really know what you've got.

Paul Greengrass's movies look to be 100% handheld and I'm guessing he wouldn't keep getting hired unless the producers didn't like that, and people still go to see his movies. Since DSLRs are lighter perhaps if you hook weights up to the camera, it might help maybe?

Greengrass doesn't get hired because he shoots handheld, he gets hired because he tells good stories. Story is king.

Good cinematography for me personally is mixing between different kind of shots such as dolly , jib , tripod , handheld .

Each kind has it's own purpose and can mean different things to the audience .

Slow silky dolly shot can add enormous amount of suspense .

Getting a static tripod shot of your actors far away in the distance doing nothing can express loneliness for instance.

These things do not work if it's all handheld .Going all handheld for me is an excuse not to set up more complicated shots and not a good idea overall .

Good cinematography for me personally is mixing between different kind of shots such as dolly , jib , tripod , handheld .

Each kind has it's own purpose and can mean different things to the audience .

Slow silky dolly shot can add enormous amount of suspense .

Getting a static tripod shot of your actors far away in the distance doing nothing can express loneliness for instance.

These things do not work if it's all handheld .Going all handheld for me is an excuse not to set up more complicated shots and not a good idea overall .

Shooting handheld, or having the look of handheld can create tension and action. United 93 and Saving Private Ryan probably wouldn't be as intense and jarring without the "handheld look".

Shooting handheld, or having the look of handheld can create tension and action. United 93 and Saving Private Ryan probably wouldn't be as intense and jarring without the "handheld look".

I am not saying not to use handheld . Handheld is a tool just like the dolly shots for adding suspense that I was talking about.

What I'm saying that going for 80% handheld especially on low budget when your film is not going to look cinematic by any means like Saving Private Ryan will just add a no budget feel to it and it will lower the production value of your film , not to mention that he is not working with the kind of equipment and crew in which Greengrass is working and his film is going to look extremely amateurish .

If he has the right gear , shooting with RED and is extremely good at color grading then yes , go for it . But if you're shooting with your small DSLR and a sparkle of hope then don't go for all handheld because it will add more low budget feel to your film and will pull your audience out of the picture.

Back