• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Feature film audio question

Hi. We've finished a feature film and are submittingit to film festivals. It's our first time doing this. (website: www.thegodquestionfilm.com) A requirement we didn't anticipate is that we have to be ready to show it in DCP format in surround sound. We edited in FCP 7 with a hodgepodge of audio tracks and files on the timeline. However, with a little work, they can be collected together as three stereo tracks - dialogue, special effects and music. How do we go from there to a surround sound output? I know this is a pretty complex question, but any help would be appreciated.

I know that the audio experts on here will provide you with technical guidance.

But as someone who went through the festival mill for features last year, I'd suggest that you not put too much time and money into DCP and surround sound unless/until you get into a high level fest that requires them.

However, with a little work, they can be collected together as three stereo tracks - dialogue, special effects and music. How do we go from there to a surround sound output? I know this is a pretty complex question, but any help would be appreciated.

DCP is something that I have only a cursory knowledge of, though there are many ways to skin this cat. It typically uses a .xml control file that simply tells the hardware what to do when and where all the files are. So you'll use the .xml to tell the projector and the sound system where the video and audio files are, when to play them and so on.

The Music and Effects Track/Dialogue track is usually done like that for releases that are in another language to what your film has been recorded in so they can dub their own language.

As for the surround sound, I'll presume you're talking a 5.1 track or higher. If you don't know how to do it or have the capabilities to do it, you'll simple export the video/audio and send it to someone who can do it for you.

I'm assuming that you have no budget for a real audio post.

To keep it simple you will have to use the 5.1 routing and mix 3.0 - put the dialog (and probably most of the Foley) in the center channel and the music & sound effects in the left and right front channels.

AMPAS DCPs

Audio Format:

24-bit, 48 kHz or 96 kHz uncompressed
Minimum 3 channels (Left,Right,Center) or 5.1 (L,R,C,LFE,LS,RS)

Audio Channel Mapping:

1:Left 2:Right 3:Center 4:Subwoofer 5:Left Surround 6:Right Surround

Thanks for these answers. Yes, we have only a small budget, which we're reserving for the company that does the actual conversion. What we decided to do is put all our dialogue on one mono track and center it, then put our effects (rain, birds singing, crickets, etc) on a stereo track and music on still another stereo track. Three tracks. We hope the company can do something with that, even if it isn't real surround sound.

Thanks for these answers. Yes, we have only a small budget, which we're reserving for the company that does the actual conversion. What we decided to do is put all our dialogue on one mono track and center it, then put our effects (rain, birds singing, crickets, etc) on a stereo track and music on still another stereo track. Three tracks. We hope the company can do something with that, even if it isn't real surround sound.

You can't just center the dialog; it will only appear in the middle of the stereo mix. For 3.0 the dialog needs it's own individual track separate from the L/R mix.

A requirement we didn't anticipate is that we have to be ready to show it in DCP format in surround sound.

Why didn't you anticipate it? Did you not bother to find out to find out what are the acceptable audio formats for screening films before you made your film? Did you find out what resolution and other visual specifications are required and did you anticipate how to achieve those visual requirements before you started filming? If so, why didn't you do the same for your sound?

Sorry to sound so harsh but you went out and made a feature film without even knowing the difference between a feature film and a scripted home video! In your defence, you are not alone, many inexperienced filmmakers make exactly the same mistake and I respond to at least one query a week from filmmakers who've just finished their film, suddenly discover that stereo is not a film audio format and want me to create a mix in a format acceptable for distribution, broadcast and/or screening at one of the better film festivals. Of course, not having done their homework before they started filming, they haven't planned or budgeted to create a sound mix in an appropriate format. In other words, the production sound and it's file management is a mess and they have neither the money to sort it out professionally nor the knowledge, experience or equipment to do it themselves. Unless they can raise some additional money, virtually without exception their films end up (with a crappy DIY stereo mix) on Vimeo/YouTube or on a DVD for friends and family, although occasionally they might get a screening at some local film festival (which project stereo DVDs in ad hoc venues) first.

Again, sorry to be so harsh. Unfortunately you've learned the hard way and probably don't need someone like me rubbing your nose in it but hopefully these harsh words might stick in the minds of other indie filmmakers and prevent them from making the same mistake.

G

Sounds like you have some serious personal issues. However, not having 5.1 sound is not going to exclude any film from any festival since they make the decision based on a DVD screener. In the end, it's nearly all about story and acting, not how many speakers are pumping out your sound. And going back and doing some work to get your sound up to speed is not impossible.

Hamphouse - If you'll forgive the pun, along woth the other contributer's answers,I thought it was pretty sound advice. :D

Harsh, yes. But that was admitted by APE anyway. Being the OP, I guess you took it a little personally despite it also being broadly directed at any readers that might be wondering the same. Regardless, claiming that APE has some serious personal issues has no bearing on the subject and is probably in breach of the forum rules regarding personal attacks.

APE did not attack you personally. He presented an opinion on your situation in response to your question. You might not have liked that opinion, but it was not a personal insult. Please try not to take it as one. :)

You made a mistake. So what? We all do. Suck it up, do the best you can this time around, and most importantly learn from it for next time.

PS Slightly OT I know, but I just checked out your site and thought the movie had an interesting theme/plot. I'm a sucker for that sorta stuff if it's well handled. Good luck with it. :)

Last edited:
However, not having 5.1 sound is not going to exclude any film from any festival since they make the decision based on a DVD screener. In the end, it's nearly all about story and acting, not how many speakers are pumping out your sound.

Ah, I was wrong ... you haven't yet learned your lesson! In fact, this statement you've made could not be more pointless! The main festivals will indeed make their decision based on your DVD screener (which can have stereo sound) but once they've made their decision what then? To have your film actually screened at one of the main festivals you will have to provide an exhibition copy to the festival's specifications. It does not matter how brilliant your story and/or acting, your film will NOT be screened with a stereo sound mix. It cannot be screened because stereo is not and never has been a supported theatrical audio format, and as you've already been told in this thread DCP does not support stereo!

Of course, the story and acting will in significant part ultimately determine how good a feature film is, but unless you make a film in an acceptable feature film format then it is not a feature film in the first place. You really should know this BEFORE you start trying to make a feature film!

G

Back