Extreme anxiety preventing me from starting on project?

Hey guys, thank you for all of your help in the past but my anxiety has really taken a toll on me. One of the biggest fears I have as a filmmaker is

1. Keeping control as a director. I have been known for being afraid of a lot of things if the crew I hire tries to provide suggestions I will likely just go with their suggestions without applying any thought into their suggestion because I have a deep fear of making enemies. I feel that I must please everyone on set or I feel paranoid that someone on set will leave.

2. Feeling insecure about my voice. Constantly whenever I talk as a director, I worry if my voice is too weak, too mellow, and if I sound secure enough to where my crew won't back out on me. I'm young, and I may be working with people a lot older, with more experience, so that makes me feel insecure.

3. Letting my nervousness inhibit my original vision.

And I know that once I start making my movie with my crew, that's when everything starts to matter. Whenever you see directors that have actually made it big, the majority of them have great social skills. Even as reclusive as Stanley Kubrick was, he was always witty, and spoke powerfully when giving the few interviews that he did.

Have any of you ever suffered large amounts of anxiety before you started your film career? And if so, what things really helped you to overcome it? People keep saying keep practicing in social situations but that actually has made it worse for myself.

But what are your opinions and suggestions though that helped you along the way that you could shed more light on with me?

Thanks guys! ;D

pleasing everybody on set isn't as simple as taking their suggestions. to please everyone on set is to have a great finished product. if you reject their suggestion and it turns out better because of it, they'll love you for it.

here is my advice. the more you plan, the less room there is for suggestions. if everyone sees you have everything planned to the T they will not even have an opportunity to speak up

1. Be self confident. Have a clear vision and don't say "maybe...." say "yes", "no", or "I'd rather have it...". Try to get to know cast and crew before production. Go get a cup of coffee or invite them over to a cafe to sit down and talk about the film and what they will be doing. Don't mumble or look away, be clear and know what you want.

2. As long as people know what you are saying and you are communicating your properly, there is no problem.

3. Don't be nervous. You're in control and you're making a film. Feel confident and strong about it.

If you plan well, communicate your vision, and stay confident and strong - there's no problem.

Best of luck!

I'm no stranger to anxiety. So what I've done to ease myself into filmmaking is start slow. My first short (well, technically it was my second, but my first real short was HORRIBLE), I did 100% on my own (cinematography, editing, acting, directing, etc.). It gave me a chance to complete a project from start to finish without having to worry about pleasing others.

My next project (which I'm currently still working on), I worked entirely with friends. It's a music video for a close friend's band, and I'm friends with the other guys in the band. The two guys I had on crew were both good friends.

Now I feel a lot more comfortable taking on projects with complete strangers. I feel like I've proven my own abilities (to myself at least).

One other tip that I'll offer is to educate yourself as much as humanly possible about what you want to do. If you're confident in your knowledge, at least, then that will give you more confidence in giving direction to others. I haven't filmed very much, but I read everything I can get my hands on, watch videos about filmmaking, etc., so I at least sound like I know what I'm doing. And that gives others confidence that I actually do know what I'm doing.

Fake it till you make it. Just remember that taking the advice of those who know more about filmmaking than you do is a great way to actually come across as knowing what you're doing (because recognizing that you don't know everything is a great quality in a director).

If everyone sees you have everything planned to the T they will not even have an opportunity to speak up

1. Be self confident. Have a clear vision
2. As long as people know what you are saying and you are communicating your properly, there is no problem.
3. You're in control and you're making a film. Feel confident and strong about it.

If you plan well, communicate your vision, and stay confident and strong

Preproduction, preproduction, preproduction, preproduction, preproduction, preproduction!!!!

You have to know EXACTLY what you want to see and hear, and have a plan for how to get there before you get on-set.

If you're confident in your knowledge, at least, then that will give you more confidence in giving direction to others... Just remember that taking the advice of those who know more about filmmaking than you do is a great way to actually come across as knowing what you're doing (because recognizing that you don't know everything is a great quality in a director).

Always remember that this is YOUR project. The creative vision is yours. This doesn't mean that you should not rely on others for their technical knowledge and skills; in fact, you should lean on them heavily. Your position is "This is what I want." The job of the cast and crew is to help you achieve it, be it equipment, props talent, whatever. This is why preproduction is so important; you do not want to get on the set and find that you do not have the resources to do what you want. And that is going to be an issue for you, as it is for all indie filmmakers; you are going to have to compromise, re-evaluate and re-think a lot of things because you don't have the resources (time,budget, talent) of the big names.

Preproduction, preproduction, preproduction, preproduction, preproduction, preproduction!!!! This will save all kinds of time, as everyone will know exactly what they are supposed to do to achieve YOUR vision of the film.

Always remember that this is YOUR project. The creative vision is yours. This doesn't mean that you should not rely on others for their technical knowledge and skills; in fact, you should lean on them heavily. Your position is "This is what I want." The job of the cast and crew is to help you achieve it, be it equipment, props talent, whatever. This is why preproduction is so important; you do not want to get on the set and find that you do not have the resources to do what you want. And that is going to be an issue for you, as it is for all indie filmmakers; you are going to have to compromise, re-evaluate and re-think a lot of things because you don't have the resources (time,budget, talent) of the big names.

Preproduction, preproduction, preproduction, preproduction, preproduction, preproduction!!!! This will save all kinds of time, as everyone will know exactly what they are supposed to do to achieve YOUR vision of the film.

This.... Just this! So much gold here, it should be quoted again!

Keeping control as a director. I have been known for being afraid of a lot of things if the crew I hire tries to provide suggestions I will likely just go with their suggestions without applying any thought into their suggestion because I have a deep fear of making enemies. I feel that I must please everyone on set or I feel paranoid that someone on set will leave.

People will sometimes leave. It's not whether they'll leave, it's what you'll do if they do. The show must go on.

Don't be afraid to ask, "Why do you think that will improve this shot/scene/movie." Encourage people to bring up suggestions during pre production. On set you should be at the point where you're executing the plan you made during pre production, however making the occasional change to improve what you had planned is also a good thing.

It's mostly better to make quick decisions than to spend way too much time making sure the decision is correct. Encourage people to experiment and make mistakes and take responsibility to fix those mistakes.

Also remember, learn to verbally appreciate everyone. Make sure they know that they wouldn't be there if you didn't think they were making a valuable contribution to the film. Positive reinforcement. Thank your people often. Let them know what you like about what they're doing.

Know everyone's name.

A friend has really bad social anxiety. He joined a local support group - it's helping him a lot. Hopefully there is one near you too.

Back