• Popcorn Points determine how popular a video is. You can click the popcorn bucket or simply react (Like, Love, etc.) and it will register a vote.

Entropy micro-short

Not sure i get it, but i like it :).

I've been trying to understand physics--both astro- and, specifically, quantum--lately, and entropy is a big big deal: the movement from high-entropy states to low-entropy states, and vice versa, is hard to get one's brain around. As is, of course, quantum mechanics itself.

(And, parenthetically, I've learned enough, now, to take sides: I am a Bohmian! And hekk you Sean Carrol and the many worlds you rode in on. :)) But anyway.

I really like the idea and the execution of your "micro-shorts."--a minute or so film where every second shows care and thoughtfulness. Some of the other ones, in the Vimeo link, as well as the longer ones, are kind of stunning. I respond to this kind of stuff--a unique POV, and what seems to me to be a real artist's sensibility.

Anyway, thanks for posting this. Really nice work.

Last edited:
A few more words:

Just watched Epicycle, from the link above. Dang! The colors, the sound, and the images in this surrealistic dip are cool. And there's an intellectual component, here, that gets me: something like the pointless, claustrophobic, mechanistic nature of life and universe--I don't know.

Brief Candle. Another micro with, again, great music and visuals, and again, with a point, not immediately graspable without the title, but unquestionably there.

Full Fathom Five. It seems I should have--but somehow never had--known about Robert Johnson, a lutist who composed stuff for Shakespeare. The song is beautiful, as is your playful animation. Thanks. :)

Last edited:
Not sure i get it, but i like it :).

I've been trying to understand physics--both astro- and, specifically, quantum--lately, and entropy is a big big deal: the movement from high-entropy states to low-entropy states, and vice versa, is hard to get one's brain around. As is, of course, quantum mechanics itself.

(And, parenthetically, I've learned enough, now, to take sides: I am a Bohmian! And hekk you Sean Carrol and the many worlds you rode in on. :)) But anyway.

I really like the idea and the execution of your "micro-shorts."--a minute or so film where every second shows care and thoughtfulness. Some of the other ones, in the Vimeo link, as well as the longer ones, are kind of stunning. I respond to this kind of stuff--a unique POV, and what seems to me to be a real artist's sensibility.

Anyway, thanks for posting this. Really nice work.
Hey - thanks for checking it out! I love doing micro-shorts...being constrained to a certain (very short) runtime boils everything down to essentials!

A few more words:

Just watched Epicycle, from the link above. Dang! The colors, the sound, and the images in this surrealistic dip are cool. And there's an intellectual component, here, that gets me: something like the pointless, claustrophobic mechanism of life and universe--I don't know.

Brief Candle. Another micro with, again, great music and visuals, and again, with a point, not immediately graspable without the title, but unquestionably there.

Full Fathom Five. It seems I should have--but somehow never had--known about Robert Johnson, a lutist who composed stuff for Shakespeare. The song is beautiful, as is your playful animation. Thanks. :)
Wow! Thanks for diving into some of my other stuff! "Epicycle" was a LOT of work but it never seemed like work if you know what I mean. I'm pretty proud of that one and it's doing really well at festivals right now (mostly experimental and animation fests). 😁

Re. Epicycles (and entropy) I thought of this, a bit from a script I wrote where a guy, in a mall, is having an hallucinatory episode. It reminds me of your film.

INT. CO-OP MALL, FLASHBACK - DAY

A person steps in front of Jack, and, roomba-like, backs up and continues in another direction.

Around Jack, people, expressionless, walking in circles.

Jack takes a deep breath and exhales, slowly, for an uncomfortably long time, a cloud of condensation.

A loud groan and then a crack. Clouds of dust drift down. A strand of cobweb lands accross Jack's face. He absently brushes it off. Then a few more.

The people around him are now animated manikins. Grotesque. The mall itself, now, dirty, unattended, litter-strewn.

Seen from above, they surround Jack, orbiting, like clockwork, in a complex Ptolemaic constellation of circles upon circles.

He sees a clean white wall, pushes through more strands of cobweb, and makes his way to it. He sits, his back aginst the wall, and slumps, unmoving.

Really nice work! The sound design is good. In animation, it really makes a lot of sense to do these smaller pieces to get experience with specific techniques.

In this one I really liked the use of lower contrast and transparent layering to create an unconventional aesthetic. Looking forward to your next film!

Really nice work! The sound design is good. In animation, it really makes a lot of sense to do these smaller pieces to get experience with specific techniques.

In this one I really liked the use of lower contrast and transparent layering to create an unconventional aesthetic. Looking forward to your next film!
Thanks! I came up with the technical idea about a week ago and just played around with it. That was fun! Oh - and hopefully the next one will be ready ina couple of weeks. It's longer (the one I posted the stills for recently). Just waiting on the music.

Last edited:
Back