Entertainment Lawyers - advice

off topic question but I feel like I might get an answer.... Does anyone know a place to go to get an advice from Entertainment lawyers - somebody who offers free advice? I'm in a place where I need an advice asap but am broke (as most film makers are) Somebody is trying to screw me over and makes my life hell... :(

I can't help you on the free lawyer side Lucas. Sorry :(

How is someone trying to screw you? Sometimes it looks that way. Sometimes it feels that way. But if you step back a little, you'll find that what we have right now, is not that big of a deal. It's better to get screwed over when we have nothing, and learn from it, than being screwed over later after you've spent all your money.

Cheers.

I'll give you one piece of advice. Free legal advice is worth what you pay for it.

... though you may be looking for advice of a life lesson, which... well without details, is impossible to work out.

You may be able to visit web sites of entertainment lawyers to see if they have handled concerns like your's to see what was done to resolve them with maybe a contract or a court case and a history of the case. In the firm where I am at, lawyers give sample contracts on their web sites to show prospective clients a sampling of what they can do. Other law firms give sample contracts as well for the same hopes.

No action is an action. You also cannot face charges for silence. So, a passive approach can be an inexpensive solution to some problems.

Good luck.

Last edited:
If this is a genuine legal matter, then I'd recommend that you don't post any details here, or if you do, make sure they're vague enough that they couldn't be identified.

That said, if it's just a disagreement and you're pondering the merits of involving lawyers, it might be worth setting out the *hypothetical* situation and seeing whether people think you have a case.

Another thought, entertainment lawyers, like all lawyers, are always looking for new clients. See if any near you offer free or discounted first visits for consultating.,

You may get the professional advice you need, if you can afford to put some money together. And, it will be much less than their pro rate to take you on as a client.

there is no such thing as "free" entertainment lawyers - they charge from £180 up per hour and Im broke

basically, there is me with no money Vs guy with a $1000.000 behind him with a lawyer from Sony Music

according to law - I am safe... but because his has the money he can pay the lawyer to make me confused and play with my head.

and I of course can not share any info eh... too complicated... dont know why I even asked lol

Not sure about Britain, but in the U.S. the loser of a civil lawsuit must pay the winner's legal fees. So if you're sure you can win (and assuming it's the same where you are), it might just be okay to borrow money, hire a lawyer, win the lawsuit and not have to pay anything but the interest on your loan. Again, I'm talking about U.S. law, but I would hope that there's something similar in place for you.

Back